Skip to main content

My first meme!

So I've been tagged with my first "meme:*" a parody of William Carlos Williams' poem, studied by high school students everywhere. Here's the link to Chanson's post, and you can follow her links back to the original parodies.

I'll post my poems first, in a fruitless hope to make my attempts seem better.

This is just to say
I have finished the crossword puzzle
that you left on the kitchen table
and which
you were probably saving
for when you had a moment to sit down
and relax
Forgive me
It was right there
and I wasn't thinking

From Luke:
This is just to say
I have dumped out the entire box of cereal
that you left on the edge of the counter
and which
you were probably saving
for breakfast
Forgive me
so tempting
and exciting.


And now the original:

This is Just to Say
I have eaten the plums
that were in the icebox
and which
you were probably saving
for breakfast
Forgive me
They were delicious
so sweet
and so cold

*If you don't know what a meme is, think of it in this context like a chain letter for blogs. I'm supposed to tag other people, but since most of the people who are reading this blog don't have blogs of their own, there's not really any point, except to tell you all to get your own blog! =)

I will tag my family members and ask them to leave comments (hear that David and Stephanie?) I can also see if Lenise wants to do it, but I think she's busier than I am at the moment, so no pressure =)

Comments

Anonymous said…
Very nice poems by the way!

Speaking of crosswords, I got a nice birthday present from the NY Times - I managed to solve their sunday crossword with only looking up one clue!
Anonymous said…
Hey mathmom, since you haven't posted that first one, I like this version a bit better:

This is Just to Say
I have made some small
transgression
that you weren't expecting
and which
you'll forgive me for
when you find out
from this note
Especially since
I call you
so sweet
and delicious
Anonymous said…
Ok - I'll bite. I'm not really a vindictive grader. But I do regularly wash dishes before their users are done with them because I need to have the counter clean.

This is Just to Say
I have failed the paper
that you worked on all semester
and which
you were probably hoping
would save your grade
Forgive me
It was terrible
so amusing
and so much red ink


This is Just to Say
I have washed the mug
that was on the sink
and which
you were probably saving
for your next cup of coffee
Forgive me
It was lonely
so dingy
and so satisfying
purplecat said…
Why I hide my library books in my room.

This is Just to Say
I have read the book
you took out of the library
and which
you were probably waiting
to read in bed.
Forgive me
It was excellent
so exciting
and so fulfilling

Popular posts from this blog

My hero, Helen Parr

Otherwise known as Elastigirl , a.k.a Mrs. Incredible. She is a stay at home mom ( SAHM ), she clearly feels that what she is doing is important and is willing to give up a lot to do it (remember her comment in the intro: "I'm at the top of my game! Leave saving the world to the guys? I don't think so.") But she is finding fulfillment in leading her family from day to day, in doing a hard job well. She also knows that she is very talented, and that knowledge helps her see beyond the repetitive drudgery of staying home. My favorite scene is from the deleted introduction, where she talks with a "career woman" who is of the opinion that staying home is fine for people who can't do anything else. She responds that taking care of her kid is at least as hard as saving the world, and is valuable contribution to society. The point for me is that someone has to do the job that I'm doing, and it's not something that you could pay someone to do. I see...

Things that are true

"Axial tilt is the reason for the season." (Picture a globe with the northern hemisphere tilted away from the sun...) I believe this is meant to be an anti-theist slogan, although I would point out that I believe there is a reason for the axial tilt. This is a runner up to my favorite true science picture, the "Gravity Forecast." I linked to this when I was a graduate student, but the site is long since down. Picture a weather forecast graphic, but instead of clouds and temperatures, the 5-day forecast predicts 9.8 m/s^2 down. Even the idea still makes me laugh, perhaps I will reproduce it someday. Luke cut his 4th tooth today (Finally!). So far they haven't caused us too much trouble. We'll see what happens when he gets his canines.

Why the world is frustrating

It is very frustrating to be 2. Michael and I have been teaching Luke about closing doors and turning off lights---both good habits. He really enjoys opening the refrigerator door. He knows how to turn out the light. But when I try to get him to shut the refrigerator door, he screams, "Turn out the light!" He keeps getting in the way of the door so that he can push the little button. As far as I know, he's trying to turn off the light before we shut the door, and the fact that it keeps coming back on when we move him out of the way so we can shut the door drives him crazy. He doesn't believe us that the light goes out when the door is shut, and after all, how do we know ourselves? We've never seen it, we use logic. But this makes any attempt to shut the door a battle, unless I sneak over there without him seeing.