Skip to main content

Last Day for Eleanor

Eleanor's last day of kindergarten came on Friday. I had no idea how hard it would hit me---she is growing up and growing out on her own. She's grown a few inches, and she is much more mature in her behavior.

The biggest obvious difference is that she learned how to read. But she has also learned to follow a schedule, to participate in a group, to make and lose and re-make friends on a deeper level than seeing them once at the park. She is closer to being able to make her dreams come true without help (the latest one is a cooking club: "Eat the Alphabet!" More on that later).

She is by no means perfect, and I will complain about the things she does in this blog sometimes (even knowing that she reads it sometimes---Hi Eleanor!). But I'm pleased with the change I've seen over the past year, and I am looking forward to seeing the change next year.

The biggest change for me, of course, will be having to take care of 3 kids full time this summer. I'm trying to take a few lessons from kindergarten and make a schedule, and "specials" (activities like library or swimming or something that happen on a specific day of the week) and morning work and rest and read... I'll let you know how it goes =)

Popular posts from this blog

My hero, Helen Parr

Otherwise known as Elastigirl , a.k.a Mrs. Incredible. She is a stay at home mom ( SAHM ), she clearly feels that what she is doing is important and is willing to give up a lot to do it (remember her comment in the intro: "I'm at the top of my game! Leave saving the world to the guys? I don't think so.") But she is finding fulfillment in leading her family from day to day, in doing a hard job well. She also knows that she is very talented, and that knowledge helps her see beyond the repetitive drudgery of staying home. My favorite scene is from the deleted introduction, where she talks with a "career woman" who is of the opinion that staying home is fine for people who can't do anything else. She responds that taking care of her kid is at least as hard as saving the world, and is valuable contribution to society. The point for me is that someone has to do the job that I'm doing, and it's not something that you could pay someone to do. I see...

Why the world is frustrating

It is very frustrating to be 2. Michael and I have been teaching Luke about closing doors and turning off lights---both good habits. He really enjoys opening the refrigerator door. He knows how to turn out the light. But when I try to get him to shut the refrigerator door, he screams, "Turn out the light!" He keeps getting in the way of the door so that he can push the little button. As far as I know, he's trying to turn off the light before we shut the door, and the fact that it keeps coming back on when we move him out of the way so we can shut the door drives him crazy. He doesn't believe us that the light goes out when the door is shut, and after all, how do we know ourselves? We've never seen it, we use logic. But this makes any attempt to shut the door a battle, unless I sneak over there without him seeing.

Things that are true

"Axial tilt is the reason for the season." (Picture a globe with the northern hemisphere tilted away from the sun...) I believe this is meant to be an anti-theist slogan, although I would point out that I believe there is a reason for the axial tilt. This is a runner up to my favorite true science picture, the "Gravity Forecast." I linked to this when I was a graduate student, but the site is long since down. Picture a weather forecast graphic, but instead of clouds and temperatures, the 5-day forecast predicts 9.8 m/s^2 down. Even the idea still makes me laugh, perhaps I will reproduce it someday. Luke cut his 4th tooth today (Finally!). So far they haven't caused us too much trouble. We'll see what happens when he gets his canines.