Skip to main content

Kindergarten Fashions

I was informed the other day that Eleanor wants to get a new thermos. She lost the o-ring from her purple Tinkerbell thermos, and I have so far resisted buying another one for her, on the theory that you shouldn't just replace things that are broken since it doesn't encourage being careful with one's things. I have been sending her with the sippee cups that she has been using since she was a year old, which she has resisted giving up to the point of becoming partly dehydrated when I don't let her use them at home.

Here's how the conversation went.
Eleanor: Anna and Jane said today at lunch, "Kindergartners don't drink from sippee cups!"
Me: That's very interesting.
Eleanor: They are supposed to drink from thermoses.
Me: Eleanor, would you like a new thermos?
Eleanor: Yes! Get the purple one, please. If there is a crayon one, that's the one I want....

Who knew that peer pressure started in kindergarten? The sippee cups are perfectly functional, so the idea that Eleanor has caught on to the fact that other people care what your cups look like takes me aback a bit.

Her request isn't all that unreasonable, I suppose. I have just been blind to the loss in kindergarten status that comes with bringing the wrong kind of thing to lunch---silly me, I was more concerned with whether she actually eats her lunch (that will have to be in another post).

I am also sympathetic, since I think I was behind the curve on every fashion trend I was aware of, and I am confident that there were many more trends I just had no idea about. Garanimals, leg warmers, tunic sweaters, the cool lunch boxes, what have you, I was always bringing the wrong thing to school, wearing the clothes just after they were no longer fashionable, and generally not noticing what was going on.

So I would like to offer a pre-apology to my children, because I can guarantee that as far as their being fashionable depends on me, they will miss out. I can also say with confidence, that although being un-trendy isn't fun while you are going through it, there are definitely worse things that could happen, and not having the latest "in" thing can actually make you a stronger person. As their mother, I am prepared to provide them with many chances for character building by not purchasing everything they desire in order to do what is fashionable instead of what makes sense.

After I get Eleanor another thermos.

Comments

C. L. Hanson said…
Trying to keep up with fashions and always needing to have exactly the right item of the right brand, from the latest season, otherwise people would criticize -- wasn't it awful? I think it may have been worse at the high school we went to than in a lot of other places. That said, you're probably right that there's something to be said for character building by not purchasing everything they desire in order to do what is fashionable instead of what makes sense.

My kids want items with their favorite characters on them, but I don't think they've quite gotten to the point where they want to have what the other kids have in order to fit in. Also, it might not be quite as bad for boys, but that may just be wishful thinking...
Anonymous said…
How about pettiskirts?
mathmom said…
Hi Chanson---

Yes, it was awful. Looking back on HS, I'm glad I went through it, but I never want to do it again! Fortunately, I had at least one friend who I felt accepted me =).

I am a big fan of encouraging rational argument. If you can give me an argument for why you need the latest thing, I'll be more inclined to provide it. I'd also like to promote self sufficiency: if you have an accurate perception of your own worth, you are less vulnerable to criticism and more able to change what you don't like, without reference to that other people think. This may be too much to ask from a 5 year old... but it's never too early to start.

I think boys have their own problems with fitting in, but they come later. I'd have to ask my husband, I know he has some terrible stories from his own high school years.

Hi Kadia! I only have the vaguest memory of pettiskirts. I looked them up in google, and I don't remember ever wearing one, so maybe they have changed. Either that or you never let me get one =)
Anonymous said…
Your not remembering them would be because they weren't around when you were younger. I saw pettiskirts in the newspaper this week as a popular item for young girls; they look like long ballet tutus--very full and with a lot of nylon net. Would have to be pretty resistant to fire, I think, but would be fun to twirl in. Maybe they haven't hit NC yet.

Popular posts from this blog

Why you should study the history of math

  Why you should study the history of math In the mid 1300s a fad made its way around Italy. Mathematicians would challenge each other to “mathematical duels”. They would post problems for their opponents to solve, sometimes along with their solutions in coded poetry. The winners would get support and funding from rich patrons, the losers would descend into obscurity. One such contest, between Fiore and Tartaglia, involved a new method for solving the cubic. In order to win, Tartaglia worked day and night to find Fiore’s method---unfortunately, Fiore did not do the same and only knew his own method and no others. (*Recall that the formula for solutions to quadratic equations of the form use the quadratic formula, Giorlamo Cardano---physician, philosopher, astrologer and mathematician---convinced Tartaglia to share his method and promised never to reveal it. Then Cardano figured out a more general method, and wanted to share it, but was blocked by his promises. Fortunately (for Cardan

Southern butter mints---vegan edition

After the last post, we started to be able to see what the fuss was about.  The ones made with twice the butter were the best candy I have ever tasted.  Ever.  So then we started experimenting.  How long do you pull it?  Longer than you think.  And then pull a minute or two after that.  Suddenly every single batch was creaming, pretty much right after we would cut them. I tried adding less than double butter and I think they taste much better (more delicate, according to one taste tester). The latest experiment we did involved using Earth Balance instead of butter.  It cooked pretty much the same as usual, although I was distracted right at the moment I had to pull it off the stove so it cooked maybe a bit longer than usual.  Amanda and I each pulled a quarter, while Luke pulled the bigger half.  Luke's really wasn't turning very fast---perhaps because it was too hot when he took it off the marble.  Mine was turning faster than Amanda's so we traded for a while.  Aman

Southern Butter Mints part 1

Some friends of ours have a granddaughter getting married (and she's a friend of ours as well) and so I agreed to help out with the shower.  Apparently this is to be a "southern" shower, full of tradition and elegance, but not too far over the top. Among things that are needed for a shower are punch with great grandma's punch bowl, sandwiches with cream cheese and green pepper jelly, and southern pulled butter mints.  "Ah, nobody can make those anymore.  We used to know someone, but the tradition needs to be passed down."  Like a fool, I said that I'd be happy to give it a try.  I suffer greatly from "I got a PhD in math, how hard could X be?" where X is something like gardening, or quilting, or cleaning, etc.  It's always harder than I think it will be. "We'll call Mrs. X who makes these, maybe she'll pass down the method.  I hope you don't hate me!"  I was actually planning on doing research online, watching a fe