Skip to main content

Luke growing

Luke is doing more and more things (I know I start all posts about Luke this way. I don't think I will have to come up with a new beginning for Luke for a few years.)

He still puts everything in his mouth, but now he has a new game. He'll put something in his mouth, I'll say "Luke! What do you have in your mouth?" and he will look at me, grin with his mouth closed, and start crawling away. He clearly wants me to chase him, since he will look back at me to make sure I'm following. He giggles when I catch him.

He has discovered that he can open the toilet lid. This was never a problem for Eleanor: we could leave the bathroom door open and the lid up, and she was frankly never interested. Amanda was more interested, but she got the message that it was not ok to play with the toilet and moved on. Luke, however, is fascinated. Distracting him is not enough, and now closing the lid is not enough. I apologize to all parents I secretly made fun of for buying toilet lid latches, thinking that they just needed to train their kids better or that they were overly worried about something that had a faint possibility of coming true. I see now that it depends on the kid.

On the other hand, Luke is not interested in stairs at all, where Amanda felt drawn to them. We will put up the gates before he falls down them, but it just hasn't been an issue yet.

Luke's newest trick is clapping. He will sit up on his knees and clap, and if you join him he'll laugh and laugh and keep you clapping.

He also seems to be recognizing words. He might know his name, the word daddy (he'll say da da to Michael, but he also says it all the time). When you say "yay!" he'll start clapping.

He definitely displays "secure base" behavior. As long as he knows where you are, he will crawl all over the place, out of your sight, exploring. He doesn't need you to be right there, he just needs to be able to find you if he needs you. He is very fond of Michael, not just me, which is a relief. He will grab onto Michael if I carry him past. He gets a cuddle, then reaches back for me.

I am running into the age-old problem: even if I had time to write down all the things Luke does, I wouldn't have space. Consider this a good sampling, and use your imagination for the rest.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My hero, Helen Parr

Otherwise known as Elastigirl , a.k.a Mrs. Incredible. She is a stay at home mom ( SAHM ), she clearly feels that what she is doing is important and is willing to give up a lot to do it (remember her comment in the intro: "I'm at the top of my game! Leave saving the world to the guys? I don't think so.") But she is finding fulfillment in leading her family from day to day, in doing a hard job well. She also knows that she is very talented, and that knowledge helps her see beyond the repetitive drudgery of staying home. My favorite scene is from the deleted introduction, where she talks with a "career woman" who is of the opinion that staying home is fine for people who can't do anything else. She responds that taking care of her kid is at least as hard as saving the world, and is valuable contribution to society. The point for me is that someone has to do the job that I'm doing, and it's not something that you could pay someone to do. I see...

Things that are true

"Axial tilt is the reason for the season." (Picture a globe with the northern hemisphere tilted away from the sun...) I believe this is meant to be an anti-theist slogan, although I would point out that I believe there is a reason for the axial tilt. This is a runner up to my favorite true science picture, the "Gravity Forecast." I linked to this when I was a graduate student, but the site is long since down. Picture a weather forecast graphic, but instead of clouds and temperatures, the 5-day forecast predicts 9.8 m/s^2 down. Even the idea still makes me laugh, perhaps I will reproduce it someday. Luke cut his 4th tooth today (Finally!). So far they haven't caused us too much trouble. We'll see what happens when he gets his canines.

Why the world is frustrating

It is very frustrating to be 2. Michael and I have been teaching Luke about closing doors and turning off lights---both good habits. He really enjoys opening the refrigerator door. He knows how to turn out the light. But when I try to get him to shut the refrigerator door, he screams, "Turn out the light!" He keeps getting in the way of the door so that he can push the little button. As far as I know, he's trying to turn off the light before we shut the door, and the fact that it keeps coming back on when we move him out of the way so we can shut the door drives him crazy. He doesn't believe us that the light goes out when the door is shut, and after all, how do we know ourselves? We've never seen it, we use logic. But this makes any attempt to shut the door a battle, unless I sneak over there without him seeing.