Skip to main content

Luke growing

Luke is doing more and more things (I know I start all posts about Luke this way. I don't think I will have to come up with a new beginning for Luke for a few years.)

He still puts everything in his mouth, but now he has a new game. He'll put something in his mouth, I'll say "Luke! What do you have in your mouth?" and he will look at me, grin with his mouth closed, and start crawling away. He clearly wants me to chase him, since he will look back at me to make sure I'm following. He giggles when I catch him.

He has discovered that he can open the toilet lid. This was never a problem for Eleanor: we could leave the bathroom door open and the lid up, and she was frankly never interested. Amanda was more interested, but she got the message that it was not ok to play with the toilet and moved on. Luke, however, is fascinated. Distracting him is not enough, and now closing the lid is not enough. I apologize to all parents I secretly made fun of for buying toilet lid latches, thinking that they just needed to train their kids better or that they were overly worried about something that had a faint possibility of coming true. I see now that it depends on the kid.

On the other hand, Luke is not interested in stairs at all, where Amanda felt drawn to them. We will put up the gates before he falls down them, but it just hasn't been an issue yet.

Luke's newest trick is clapping. He will sit up on his knees and clap, and if you join him he'll laugh and laugh and keep you clapping.

He also seems to be recognizing words. He might know his name, the word daddy (he'll say da da to Michael, but he also says it all the time). When you say "yay!" he'll start clapping.

He definitely displays "secure base" behavior. As long as he knows where you are, he will crawl all over the place, out of your sight, exploring. He doesn't need you to be right there, he just needs to be able to find you if he needs you. He is very fond of Michael, not just me, which is a relief. He will grab onto Michael if I carry him past. He gets a cuddle, then reaches back for me.

I am running into the age-old problem: even if I had time to write down all the things Luke does, I wouldn't have space. Consider this a good sampling, and use your imagination for the rest.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why you should study the history of math

  Why you should study the history of math In the mid 1300s a fad made its way around Italy. Mathematicians would challenge each other to “mathematical duels”. They would post problems for their opponents to solve, sometimes along with their solutions in coded poetry. The winners would get support and funding from rich patrons, the losers would descend into obscurity. One such contest, between Fiore and Tartaglia, involved a new method for solving the cubic. In order to win, Tartaglia worked day and night to find Fiore’s method---unfortunately, Fiore did not do the same and only knew his own method and no others. (*Recall that the formula for solutions to quadratic equations of the form use the quadratic formula, Giorlamo Cardano---physician, philosopher, astrologer and mathematician---convinced Tartaglia to share his method and promised never to reveal it. Then Cardano figured out a more general method, and wanted to share it, but was blocked by his promises. Fortunately (for Cardan

Southern butter mints---vegan edition

After the last post, we started to be able to see what the fuss was about.  The ones made with twice the butter were the best candy I have ever tasted.  Ever.  So then we started experimenting.  How long do you pull it?  Longer than you think.  And then pull a minute or two after that.  Suddenly every single batch was creaming, pretty much right after we would cut them. I tried adding less than double butter and I think they taste much better (more delicate, according to one taste tester). The latest experiment we did involved using Earth Balance instead of butter.  It cooked pretty much the same as usual, although I was distracted right at the moment I had to pull it off the stove so it cooked maybe a bit longer than usual.  Amanda and I each pulled a quarter, while Luke pulled the bigger half.  Luke's really wasn't turning very fast---perhaps because it was too hot when he took it off the marble.  Mine was turning faster than Amanda's so we traded for a while.  Aman

Southern Butter Mints part 1

Some friends of ours have a granddaughter getting married (and she's a friend of ours as well) and so I agreed to help out with the shower.  Apparently this is to be a "southern" shower, full of tradition and elegance, but not too far over the top. Among things that are needed for a shower are punch with great grandma's punch bowl, sandwiches with cream cheese and green pepper jelly, and southern pulled butter mints.  "Ah, nobody can make those anymore.  We used to know someone, but the tradition needs to be passed down."  Like a fool, I said that I'd be happy to give it a try.  I suffer greatly from "I got a PhD in math, how hard could X be?" where X is something like gardening, or quilting, or cleaning, etc.  It's always harder than I think it will be. "We'll call Mrs. X who makes these, maybe she'll pass down the method.  I hope you don't hate me!"  I was actually planning on doing research online, watching a fe