Skip to main content

Extrovert/introvert

Today the family got out into the backyard and raked. We have a significant number of trees around, so we saw immediate results, both on the now clear lawn and on a huge leaf pile (although not equal to the leaf pile of my youth when we jumped from the shed roof into the pile... remind me not to tell Eleanor about this).

It was an unseasonably warm day, so there were other families out doing yard work as well. At one point I looked around for Eleanor and discovered that she had taken herself over to the neighbor's yard and was chatting with their 3 year old daughter. They live kiddy-corner to us, so we don't see them all that often, and I hadn't even noticed that they were out. But Eleanor noticed, and therefore Eleanor had to go right over there and talk to the girl, her 2 year old brother and the father. She explained why we were out, asked what they were doing, asked if the little girl could come over to our yard, volunteered to make cookies for their family, and so on.

It is useful for introverts like me to have extroverts in the family. I was not entirely comfortable just showing up in their yard as they were trying to get work done, but everyone (including Luke who was in the back pack) had a good time. I think the neighbor actually got more done since his daughter was playing with us and not needing interaction with him. I have the feeling this is not the last time that Eleanor will bring me out of my comfort zone and into conversations I need to have.

In the same vein, we had pictures taken at a local chain the other day. It being a few weeks before Christmas, the place was crawling with kids and stressed out parents. Match the child (Eleanor, Amanda or Luke) with the action in the following list:
  • This child crawled around, picked the dust off the floor, gave winning smiles to everyone and tried to eat their shoes.
  • This child found the humongous teddy bear props and settled down to snuggle and watch quietly while another child got her picture taken.
  • This child organized 5 other children (ages 4-7) into a game of hide and seek, then a game of duck duck goose (Duck, Duck Grayduck!) and then a game of house.
I think you can probably figure out who was who.

Comments

Danlj said…
Eleanor appears to have been named properly; organizing play was what her great-grandmother did best. And work blended completely with play.
mathmom said…
Hi Dan---

We have still to work on blending work with play. I'm not very good at it, myself. For Eleanor, work is anything that she has to do, and anything that lasts for more than about 15 minutes. I'm hoping that we can get over the latter obstacle as she gets older.

Eleanor (the younger) loves hearing about her great-grandma. Thanks for sharing that.
Anonymous said…
Dust is Luke,teddy bears is Amanda, and games is me.

Ella

Popular posts from this blog

Why you should study the history of math

  Why you should study the history of math In the mid 1300s a fad made its way around Italy. Mathematicians would challenge each other to “mathematical duels”. They would post problems for their opponents to solve, sometimes along with their solutions in coded poetry. The winners would get support and funding from rich patrons, the losers would descend into obscurity. One such contest, between Fiore and Tartaglia, involved a new method for solving the cubic. In order to win, Tartaglia worked day and night to find Fiore’s method---unfortunately, Fiore did not do the same and only knew his own method and no others. (*Recall that the formula for solutions to quadratic equations of the form use the quadratic formula, Giorlamo Cardano---physician, philosopher, astrologer and mathematician---convinced Tartaglia to share his method and promised never to reveal it. Then Cardano figured out a more general method, and wanted to share it, but was blocked by his promises. Fortunately (for Cardan

Southern butter mints---vegan edition

After the last post, we started to be able to see what the fuss was about.  The ones made with twice the butter were the best candy I have ever tasted.  Ever.  So then we started experimenting.  How long do you pull it?  Longer than you think.  And then pull a minute or two after that.  Suddenly every single batch was creaming, pretty much right after we would cut them. I tried adding less than double butter and I think they taste much better (more delicate, according to one taste tester). The latest experiment we did involved using Earth Balance instead of butter.  It cooked pretty much the same as usual, although I was distracted right at the moment I had to pull it off the stove so it cooked maybe a bit longer than usual.  Amanda and I each pulled a quarter, while Luke pulled the bigger half.  Luke's really wasn't turning very fast---perhaps because it was too hot when he took it off the marble.  Mine was turning faster than Amanda's so we traded for a while.  Aman

Southern Butter Mints part 1

Some friends of ours have a granddaughter getting married (and she's a friend of ours as well) and so I agreed to help out with the shower.  Apparently this is to be a "southern" shower, full of tradition and elegance, but not too far over the top. Among things that are needed for a shower are punch with great grandma's punch bowl, sandwiches with cream cheese and green pepper jelly, and southern pulled butter mints.  "Ah, nobody can make those anymore.  We used to know someone, but the tradition needs to be passed down."  Like a fool, I said that I'd be happy to give it a try.  I suffer greatly from "I got a PhD in math, how hard could X be?" where X is something like gardening, or quilting, or cleaning, etc.  It's always harder than I think it will be. "We'll call Mrs. X who makes these, maybe she'll pass down the method.  I hope you don't hate me!"  I was actually planning on doing research online, watching a fe