Skip to main content

Kids at the Playground

We went to the playground yesterday. I've already written elsewhere about Eleanor organizing kids into games---she did it again yesterday. She had a 6 year old girl playing very elaborate chase games. They went better when the rules were established (like freeze tag) than when the rules were made up on the fly (like being chased by the daddy wolf who was in a cage, but could come out of the cage once a day... you get the idea). The other girl was an organizer as well.

Amanda has learned some things from her sister, and she is changing as well. In school they have noticed that she is starting to move beyond the "play alongside" stage, and into the "play with" stage. Yesterday she was playing in a little house at the park, and another girl came briefly into the house. Amanda clearly wanted to play with her, and ended up following her around the park, carrying a bucket of sand. However, the other girl was clearly too busy to play with Amanda, Amanda was too quiet and little, and it was time for them to go. I didn't interfere. Then there was another little girl in the house, so Amanda went up to her. I had to coach her to say "Hi, my name is Amanda." The other girl responded by hiding behind her mother. Amanda made "pizza bianca" for them, the other girl didn't say anything. Her mom said she was quite shy. There will be other days.

Luke had fun pulling himself up on everything that was nailed down, and stood for long periods without holding onto anything. Just before walking is a hard time to go to the park in the winter. You are crawling on the cold sidewalk, you get sand on your hands and then in your mouth, your knees are cold... He had a great time, despite this. He made this clear by talking the entire time---ba ba bwa De DE ba. I am continually surprised by the variety of expression that a baby can manage while not saying any words. It is clear that he is related to his father =).

Note to Michael: please don't brush Luke's wet hair into a mohawk before bed. One would think that it would come out in his sleep, but apparently it doesn't.

Comments

Lenise said…
=] I do my best to get my boys' hair respectably combed after baths, since Jay's hair is thick enough it will keep whatever shape it's assumed. Paul doesn't seem too concerned about it. Must be a Dad thing!
mathmom said…
Hi Lenise!

Aww, I was hoping that I wasn't going to have to fuss so much with Luke's hair after baths. I guess it will be shorter than the girls, so that will make things easier.
Anonymous said…
I'll admit that I have never combed Anders' hair -- when it gets long enough to be messy, I just take him in for a haircut!
mathmom said…
Hi Steph! Ahh, there is still hope for me. I am hoping to avoid big tangles in Luke's hair. I don't even know how old boys should be for their first haircut... I remember taking Dave in when he was 2 or so, with his curls, but Luke's hair is very very straight.

Popular posts from this blog

Why you should study the history of math

  Why you should study the history of math In the mid 1300s a fad made its way around Italy. Mathematicians would challenge each other to “mathematical duels”. They would post problems for their opponents to solve, sometimes along with their solutions in coded poetry. The winners would get support and funding from rich patrons, the losers would descend into obscurity. One such contest, between Fiore and Tartaglia, involved a new method for solving the cubic. In order to win, Tartaglia worked day and night to find Fiore’s method---unfortunately, Fiore did not do the same and only knew his own method and no others. (*Recall that the formula for solutions to quadratic equations of the form use the quadratic formula, Giorlamo Cardano---physician, philosopher, astrologer and mathematician---convinced Tartaglia to share his method and promised never to reveal it. Then Cardano figured out a more general method, and wanted to share it, but was blocked by his promises. Fortunately (for Cardan

Southern butter mints---vegan edition

After the last post, we started to be able to see what the fuss was about.  The ones made with twice the butter were the best candy I have ever tasted.  Ever.  So then we started experimenting.  How long do you pull it?  Longer than you think.  And then pull a minute or two after that.  Suddenly every single batch was creaming, pretty much right after we would cut them. I tried adding less than double butter and I think they taste much better (more delicate, according to one taste tester). The latest experiment we did involved using Earth Balance instead of butter.  It cooked pretty much the same as usual, although I was distracted right at the moment I had to pull it off the stove so it cooked maybe a bit longer than usual.  Amanda and I each pulled a quarter, while Luke pulled the bigger half.  Luke's really wasn't turning very fast---perhaps because it was too hot when he took it off the marble.  Mine was turning faster than Amanda's so we traded for a while.  Aman

Southern Butter Mints part 1

Some friends of ours have a granddaughter getting married (and she's a friend of ours as well) and so I agreed to help out with the shower.  Apparently this is to be a "southern" shower, full of tradition and elegance, but not too far over the top. Among things that are needed for a shower are punch with great grandma's punch bowl, sandwiches with cream cheese and green pepper jelly, and southern pulled butter mints.  "Ah, nobody can make those anymore.  We used to know someone, but the tradition needs to be passed down."  Like a fool, I said that I'd be happy to give it a try.  I suffer greatly from "I got a PhD in math, how hard could X be?" where X is something like gardening, or quilting, or cleaning, etc.  It's always harder than I think it will be. "We'll call Mrs. X who makes these, maybe she'll pass down the method.  I hope you don't hate me!"  I was actually planning on doing research online, watching a fe