Skip to main content

The grils

My brother used to call my sister and me "the grils" when he was a toddler. I wonder what Luke will call his sisters.

I was just looking at my post subjects, and I noticed I had 10 posts about Amanda, 10 about Eleanor, and 28 about Luke. I do apologize for not writing more about the girls, but frankly I'm not likely to write tons about them any time soon, for some good or bad reasons:
  • Luke actually takes up much more of my attention. Eleanor is at school, Amanda is remarkably self sufficient, but Luke needs constant watching. Since I watch him more, I see more of what he is doing.
  • Luke changes visibly every day. Just today, as I was dropping him off at church, he clung to me tightly instead of going to play happily---that was new as of today. Eleanor and Amanda are changing, but much more slowly and less obviously.
  • Luke is much cuter than his sisters are right now. His changes are almost all pleasant and interesting, while Eleanor and Amanda are in the process of becoming their own persons and their changes are quite often not attractive. You really don't want to hear too much about Eleanor's temper tantrums and Amanda's fierce looks and ignoring us, but that's what we're thinking about with them.
  • Michael and I already have almost two years of almost daily journals from Eleanor's first two years. Luke deserves some too. (Amanda deserves some too, but it is too late. I think that the middle child almost always gets gypped, and I'm sorry about that =(.)
  • Amanda is very very quiet. I wish I could post the things she says as she tries to make sense of the English language, but I manage to forget them as soon as she says them. I will try to write them down so you can enjoy them as well.
Like I said, good and bad reasons. I do write about all 3 of them using the "kids" label, which has 23 posts, so you are not entirely in the dark about the girls. Maybe when school starts again I'll have time to write more about all 3(ha!).

Comments

Lenise said…
Boy, do we know about the tantrums and the ignoring. And the endless arguing. And that's just the three-year-old. Isaac's at a much cuter stage than Jay right now. I totally understand. I'm probably doing the same thing, but I choose to remain ignorant!
mathmom said…
Hi Lenise! It's good to know I'm not alone. When they complain when they get older, I'll just explain that they should be thankful I didn't document certain parts of their lives.
Lenise said…
LOL...

Ain't that the truth ;)

Popular posts from this blog

Why you should study the history of math

  Why you should study the history of math In the mid 1300s a fad made its way around Italy. Mathematicians would challenge each other to “mathematical duels”. They would post problems for their opponents to solve, sometimes along with their solutions in coded poetry. The winners would get support and funding from rich patrons, the losers would descend into obscurity. One such contest, between Fiore and Tartaglia, involved a new method for solving the cubic. In order to win, Tartaglia worked day and night to find Fiore’s method---unfortunately, Fiore did not do the same and only knew his own method and no others. (*Recall that the formula for solutions to quadratic equations of the form use the quadratic formula, Giorlamo Cardano---physician, philosopher, astrologer and mathematician---convinced Tartaglia to share his method and promised never to reveal it. Then Cardano figured out a more general method, and wanted to share it, but was blocked by his promises. Fortunately (for Cardan

Southern butter mints---vegan edition

After the last post, we started to be able to see what the fuss was about.  The ones made with twice the butter were the best candy I have ever tasted.  Ever.  So then we started experimenting.  How long do you pull it?  Longer than you think.  And then pull a minute or two after that.  Suddenly every single batch was creaming, pretty much right after we would cut them. I tried adding less than double butter and I think they taste much better (more delicate, according to one taste tester). The latest experiment we did involved using Earth Balance instead of butter.  It cooked pretty much the same as usual, although I was distracted right at the moment I had to pull it off the stove so it cooked maybe a bit longer than usual.  Amanda and I each pulled a quarter, while Luke pulled the bigger half.  Luke's really wasn't turning very fast---perhaps because it was too hot when he took it off the marble.  Mine was turning faster than Amanda's so we traded for a while.  Aman

Southern Butter Mints part 1

Some friends of ours have a granddaughter getting married (and she's a friend of ours as well) and so I agreed to help out with the shower.  Apparently this is to be a "southern" shower, full of tradition and elegance, but not too far over the top. Among things that are needed for a shower are punch with great grandma's punch bowl, sandwiches with cream cheese and green pepper jelly, and southern pulled butter mints.  "Ah, nobody can make those anymore.  We used to know someone, but the tradition needs to be passed down."  Like a fool, I said that I'd be happy to give it a try.  I suffer greatly from "I got a PhD in math, how hard could X be?" where X is something like gardening, or quilting, or cleaning, etc.  It's always harder than I think it will be. "We'll call Mrs. X who makes these, maybe she'll pass down the method.  I hope you don't hate me!"  I was actually planning on doing research online, watching a fe