Skip to main content

Socks

One of the downsides of having kids is that all of the things you hate dealing with for yourself you now get to deal with for 3 (in my case) more people.

For example, one of my least favorite tasks is sorting socks. I dislike it so much that as soon as the frost is off the ground in the spring, I get out my sandals, which I wear until my toes start freezing. Soon after Michael and I married we made an arrangement whereby I would not have to sort and fold his socks.

Now I get to keep track of and sort Amanda's and Eleanor's socks. It wouldn't be so bad except that as soon as they have been worn once, one of the socks seems to disappear into the ether (the hozone, Michael always says). Here's a math question for the audience: if you have 10 pairs of socks in a pile, and you reach in to the pile and grab a random pair, how many do you have to grab before you have a pair? (at least 2, at most 11, and I think it follows some sort of normal distribution, I think...) In my case it is always 11, especially if we are late for school.

I have heard that you can get toddlers to sort socks, but I haven't figured out how to get any actual toddlers to do this. At least Luke doesn't wear socks yet, and I seem to remember from my brother's experience that you just get 14 pairs of white socks, and then you don't have to worry about pairing them up properly.

The other day I was sorting Amanda's socks and had neatly paired them up and rolled them into balls. Amanda came and unrolled the yellow ball, put one sock on, and unrolled the purple ball and put the other sock on. She noticed that they were different, but didn't think that she ought to do anything about it---she was neither worried that she should make them the same or proud that she had done something original. I don't know whether to be encouraged (I never need to sort socks for her again!) or discouraged (now I'll never find the pairs to those socks again!) Since she put them on herself, I'll let her do as she wishes.

Comments

Anonymous said…
I never got any toddlers to sort socks--maybe it would work if the socks were interesting enough--"put the red trains together, then the 2 purple kitties together..."
Danlj said…
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

Popular posts from this blog

Why you should study the history of math

  Why you should study the history of math In the mid 1300s a fad made its way around Italy. Mathematicians would challenge each other to “mathematical duels”. They would post problems for their opponents to solve, sometimes along with their solutions in coded poetry. The winners would get support and funding from rich patrons, the losers would descend into obscurity. One such contest, between Fiore and Tartaglia, involved a new method for solving the cubic. In order to win, Tartaglia worked day and night to find Fiore’s method---unfortunately, Fiore did not do the same and only knew his own method and no others. (*Recall that the formula for solutions to quadratic equations of the form use the quadratic formula, Giorlamo Cardano---physician, philosopher, astrologer and mathematician---convinced Tartaglia to share his method and promised never to reveal it. Then Cardano figured out a more general method, and wanted to share it, but was blocked by his promises. Fortunately (for Cardan

Southern butter mints---vegan edition

After the last post, we started to be able to see what the fuss was about.  The ones made with twice the butter were the best candy I have ever tasted.  Ever.  So then we started experimenting.  How long do you pull it?  Longer than you think.  And then pull a minute or two after that.  Suddenly every single batch was creaming, pretty much right after we would cut them. I tried adding less than double butter and I think they taste much better (more delicate, according to one taste tester). The latest experiment we did involved using Earth Balance instead of butter.  It cooked pretty much the same as usual, although I was distracted right at the moment I had to pull it off the stove so it cooked maybe a bit longer than usual.  Amanda and I each pulled a quarter, while Luke pulled the bigger half.  Luke's really wasn't turning very fast---perhaps because it was too hot when he took it off the marble.  Mine was turning faster than Amanda's so we traded for a while.  Aman

Southern Butter Mints part 1

Some friends of ours have a granddaughter getting married (and she's a friend of ours as well) and so I agreed to help out with the shower.  Apparently this is to be a "southern" shower, full of tradition and elegance, but not too far over the top. Among things that are needed for a shower are punch with great grandma's punch bowl, sandwiches with cream cheese and green pepper jelly, and southern pulled butter mints.  "Ah, nobody can make those anymore.  We used to know someone, but the tradition needs to be passed down."  Like a fool, I said that I'd be happy to give it a try.  I suffer greatly from "I got a PhD in math, how hard could X be?" where X is something like gardening, or quilting, or cleaning, etc.  It's always harder than I think it will be. "We'll call Mrs. X who makes these, maybe she'll pass down the method.  I hope you don't hate me!"  I was actually planning on doing research online, watching a fe