Skip to main content

Halloween Humbug

I have already mentioned that I don't really like Halloween. I had vowed not to take Eleanor and Amanda trick-or-treating this year, but Michael managed to get me to do it anyway by arranging a gas leak...

I got back from picking up Amanda, and I wanted to let her watch a little TV while I nursed Luke in peace and quiet (because if she is in the room, Luke has no interest in eating and wants to eat all night instead). I went downstairs and caught a whiff of what I thought was gas. I really couldn't tell where it was coming from, it didn't seem to be stronger near the furnace room, so I didn't trust myself. You must understand that at the previous house I thought I smelled gas all the time, but no one else could smell it. Also, I had been sure about a year ago that we had a gas leak, and I eventually traced the smell to a very stinky dishrag.

I turned on the gas in the stove to see if it smelled the same---it was very similar, but not quite the same. We had to go to pick up Eleanor from school, anyway, so I turned off the furnace and left the windows open and called Michael from the road. He also wasn't sure it was a leak, but he suggested we open the door to the furnace room to check again. When I got home I opened it up and it was very clear that there was a leak.

The kids and I went to dinner and Michael came home to check the leak. He couldn't find it, so we called the gas company. Apparently, they put more smell in the gas every fall so that people will notice leaks more easily, and the crew works continuously through the week and weekend to fix everyone, so they are prepared to be called out continually. When the kids and I got home from dinner, we had a problem:
  • Michael needed to be home and help out the gas man,
  • Eleanor and Amanda needed to go trick or treating,
  • Luke needed to go to sleep,
  • and someone needed to hand out candy
That requires at least 2 more adults than were available, so I got to go trick or treating, along with Luke. This brings us to the reasons I don't like Halloween (at least the ones I can think of right now):
  1. Why is it a good idea to take kids around and ask other people to give them candy? I spend much of my time trying to convince my kids to keep the candy out of the house.
  2. Along those lines, some people give my children gum. How is that a good idea?
  3. Amanda is allergic to much of the candy people hand out. I did figure out a good way to get rid of all the candy she can't eat: hand it out to people coming to our door. Amanda's idea of candy is either candy entirely made of sugar (smarties, for example) and really good, really dark chocolate.
  4. It really messes with bedtime. Luke got to bed 1 hour late. Amanda, 1.5 hours late. Eleanor, 1 hour late.
  5. I hate scary, gruesome, Gothic, spooky and eerie things. Someone had decorated their lawn with gravestones and rubber hands sticking out of the dirt that were actually moving, along with a skeleton playing checkers... They were having as much fun as the kids, I think. I much prefer other motifs (Modern, Victorian, arts and crafts, country, etc.) Being scared is not fun for me.
  6. The sight of Eleanor and Amanda running from house to house shouting "candy candy candy!" (OK, they only did this once, but it was very annoying.)
  7. Kids coming to our house, not saying "trick or treat" or "thank you" and not being satisfied with the candy I hand out (some actually ask for more, others keep holding their bags out after I've put some pieces in).
  8. I realize that if I throw out all holidays which mix pagan religious traditions with christian ones, there won't be any left, but I will go ahead and be hypocritical. At least Christmas and Easter still have some vestiges of christianity associated with them, Halloween seems not to be connected in anyone's mind with All Saint's Day.
Next year we will skip the gas leak, Michael and Luke will go around with Eleanor and Amanda and I will stay at home and make kids say trick or treat and thank you and happy Halloween before giving out candy. There are two bright spots: first, we got a gas leak fixed that we had probably had for a long time, and second, the kids did look really really cute in their costumes. Maybe someday we'll put up some pictures.

Comments

mathmom said…
Add to the list of things I don't like: "Disposing of rotten pumpkins and jack-o-lanterns." Hopefully ours don't end up in the street.
Anonymous said…
Do put up some pictures somewhere, though.

Love,
Steph

Popular posts from this blog

Why you should study the history of math

  Why you should study the history of math In the mid 1300s a fad made its way around Italy. Mathematicians would challenge each other to “mathematical duels”. They would post problems for their opponents to solve, sometimes along with their solutions in coded poetry. The winners would get support and funding from rich patrons, the losers would descend into obscurity. One such contest, between Fiore and Tartaglia, involved a new method for solving the cubic. In order to win, Tartaglia worked day and night to find Fiore’s method---unfortunately, Fiore did not do the same and only knew his own method and no others. (*Recall that the formula for solutions to quadratic equations of the form use the quadratic formula, Giorlamo Cardano---physician, philosopher, astrologer and mathematician---convinced Tartaglia to share his method and promised never to reveal it. Then Cardano figured out a more general method, and wanted to share it, but was blocked by his promises. Fortunately (for Cardan

Southern butter mints---vegan edition

After the last post, we started to be able to see what the fuss was about.  The ones made with twice the butter were the best candy I have ever tasted.  Ever.  So then we started experimenting.  How long do you pull it?  Longer than you think.  And then pull a minute or two after that.  Suddenly every single batch was creaming, pretty much right after we would cut them. I tried adding less than double butter and I think they taste much better (more delicate, according to one taste tester). The latest experiment we did involved using Earth Balance instead of butter.  It cooked pretty much the same as usual, although I was distracted right at the moment I had to pull it off the stove so it cooked maybe a bit longer than usual.  Amanda and I each pulled a quarter, while Luke pulled the bigger half.  Luke's really wasn't turning very fast---perhaps because it was too hot when he took it off the marble.  Mine was turning faster than Amanda's so we traded for a while.  Aman

Southern Butter Mints part 1

Some friends of ours have a granddaughter getting married (and she's a friend of ours as well) and so I agreed to help out with the shower.  Apparently this is to be a "southern" shower, full of tradition and elegance, but not too far over the top. Among things that are needed for a shower are punch with great grandma's punch bowl, sandwiches with cream cheese and green pepper jelly, and southern pulled butter mints.  "Ah, nobody can make those anymore.  We used to know someone, but the tradition needs to be passed down."  Like a fool, I said that I'd be happy to give it a try.  I suffer greatly from "I got a PhD in math, how hard could X be?" where X is something like gardening, or quilting, or cleaning, etc.  It's always harder than I think it will be. "We'll call Mrs. X who makes these, maybe she'll pass down the method.  I hope you don't hate me!"  I was actually planning on doing research online, watching a fe