Skip to main content

Save Luke!

Well, the "keep Luke alive" program is going fairly well. Yesterday he was particularly interested in chewing on things (more teething, possibly?) and so I spent the day looking for appropriate teethers and taking away the inappropriate. Appropriate in this case means anything that would not hurt him and that he would not hurt.

The problem is that his sisters are not cooperating with the program. They leave all sorts of things on the floor (bits of sidewalk chalk, for example, or little pieces of paper), they leave doors open (come back inside, Luke!), they leave the toilet seat lid up, they distract me when Luke is doing something he shouldn't. He has only fallen down the short flight of stairs once, and he does seem to have learned something from that (it was more like a gentle roll, but still scary). Yesterday as I was washing Eleanor's hair and Luke thought he'd like to eat the toilet paper from off the roll. I successfully distracted him from that and got back to rinsing the conditioner out when I heard a "splash"! Luke took another unexpected bath. Sigh. Eventually one of us will learn, I suppose.

Eleanor is actually starting to make the connection: "If I leave this on the floor, Luke will try to eat it!" She's still a bit slow, i.e., she only sees the potential problem as Luke crawls towards something he shouldn't, so she's sometimes is late in taking away things from Luke. Amanda doesn't make the connection at all, but she is very protective of things she perceives as hers. She'll walk around carrying an armload of toys and things that she has determined are not for Luke. Unfortunately, some of the things she sees as inappropriate are actually Luke's toys, which she has grabbed away from him. By the time we all learn what we are supposed to do, I expect Luke will have moved on to another stage of life.

In Amanda news, she has decided that she is the mother in the family. When I tell her to get into the car so we can go somewhere, she immediately climbs into the front driver's seat. I go to get her out (after buckling Luke in) and she tells me "Hi other mother! We're going to Jumping beans " (or some other desirable place, as opposed to picking Eleanor up from school or the grocery store). This morning she asked me to read her a story, so I did. Then she picked up the story and read it to me (holding the pictures upside down, so that I could see them better). She calls me the "other mother". We have a fun time.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why you should study the history of math

  Why you should study the history of math In the mid 1300s a fad made its way around Italy. Mathematicians would challenge each other to “mathematical duels”. They would post problems for their opponents to solve, sometimes along with their solutions in coded poetry. The winners would get support and funding from rich patrons, the losers would descend into obscurity. One such contest, between Fiore and Tartaglia, involved a new method for solving the cubic. In order to win, Tartaglia worked day and night to find Fiore’s method---unfortunately, Fiore did not do the same and only knew his own method and no others. (*Recall that the formula for solutions to quadratic equations of the form use the quadratic formula, Giorlamo Cardano---physician, philosopher, astrologer and mathematician---convinced Tartaglia to share his method and promised never to reveal it. Then Cardano figured out a more general method, and wanted to share it, but was blocked by his promises. Fortunately (for Cardan

Southern butter mints---vegan edition

After the last post, we started to be able to see what the fuss was about.  The ones made with twice the butter were the best candy I have ever tasted.  Ever.  So then we started experimenting.  How long do you pull it?  Longer than you think.  And then pull a minute or two after that.  Suddenly every single batch was creaming, pretty much right after we would cut them. I tried adding less than double butter and I think they taste much better (more delicate, according to one taste tester). The latest experiment we did involved using Earth Balance instead of butter.  It cooked pretty much the same as usual, although I was distracted right at the moment I had to pull it off the stove so it cooked maybe a bit longer than usual.  Amanda and I each pulled a quarter, while Luke pulled the bigger half.  Luke's really wasn't turning very fast---perhaps because it was too hot when he took it off the marble.  Mine was turning faster than Amanda's so we traded for a while.  Aman

Southern Butter Mints part 1

Some friends of ours have a granddaughter getting married (and she's a friend of ours as well) and so I agreed to help out with the shower.  Apparently this is to be a "southern" shower, full of tradition and elegance, but not too far over the top. Among things that are needed for a shower are punch with great grandma's punch bowl, sandwiches with cream cheese and green pepper jelly, and southern pulled butter mints.  "Ah, nobody can make those anymore.  We used to know someone, but the tradition needs to be passed down."  Like a fool, I said that I'd be happy to give it a try.  I suffer greatly from "I got a PhD in math, how hard could X be?" where X is something like gardening, or quilting, or cleaning, etc.  It's always harder than I think it will be. "We'll call Mrs. X who makes these, maybe she'll pass down the method.  I hope you don't hate me!"  I was actually planning on doing research online, watching a fe