Skip to main content

Kindergarten Fashions

I was informed the other day that Eleanor wants to get a new thermos. She lost the o-ring from her purple Tinkerbell thermos, and I have so far resisted buying another one for her, on the theory that you shouldn't just replace things that are broken since it doesn't encourage being careful with one's things. I have been sending her with the sippee cups that she has been using since she was a year old, which she has resisted giving up to the point of becoming partly dehydrated when I don't let her use them at home.

Here's how the conversation went.
Eleanor: Anna and Jane said today at lunch, "Kindergartners don't drink from sippee cups!"
Me: That's very interesting.
Eleanor: They are supposed to drink from thermoses.
Me: Eleanor, would you like a new thermos?
Eleanor: Yes! Get the purple one, please. If there is a crayon one, that's the one I want....

Who knew that peer pressure started in kindergarten? The sippee cups are perfectly functional, so the idea that Eleanor has caught on to the fact that other people care what your cups look like takes me aback a bit.

Her request isn't all that unreasonable, I suppose. I have just been blind to the loss in kindergarten status that comes with bringing the wrong kind of thing to lunch---silly me, I was more concerned with whether she actually eats her lunch (that will have to be in another post).

I am also sympathetic, since I think I was behind the curve on every fashion trend I was aware of, and I am confident that there were many more trends I just had no idea about. Garanimals, leg warmers, tunic sweaters, the cool lunch boxes, what have you, I was always bringing the wrong thing to school, wearing the clothes just after they were no longer fashionable, and generally not noticing what was going on.

So I would like to offer a pre-apology to my children, because I can guarantee that as far as their being fashionable depends on me, they will miss out. I can also say with confidence, that although being un-trendy isn't fun while you are going through it, there are definitely worse things that could happen, and not having the latest "in" thing can actually make you a stronger person. As their mother, I am prepared to provide them with many chances for character building by not purchasing everything they desire in order to do what is fashionable instead of what makes sense.

After I get Eleanor another thermos.

Comments

C. L. Hanson said…
Trying to keep up with fashions and always needing to have exactly the right item of the right brand, from the latest season, otherwise people would criticize -- wasn't it awful? I think it may have been worse at the high school we went to than in a lot of other places. That said, you're probably right that there's something to be said for character building by not purchasing everything they desire in order to do what is fashionable instead of what makes sense.

My kids want items with their favorite characters on them, but I don't think they've quite gotten to the point where they want to have what the other kids have in order to fit in. Also, it might not be quite as bad for boys, but that may just be wishful thinking...
Anonymous said…
How about pettiskirts?
mathmom said…
Hi Chanson---

Yes, it was awful. Looking back on HS, I'm glad I went through it, but I never want to do it again! Fortunately, I had at least one friend who I felt accepted me =).

I am a big fan of encouraging rational argument. If you can give me an argument for why you need the latest thing, I'll be more inclined to provide it. I'd also like to promote self sufficiency: if you have an accurate perception of your own worth, you are less vulnerable to criticism and more able to change what you don't like, without reference to that other people think. This may be too much to ask from a 5 year old... but it's never too early to start.

I think boys have their own problems with fitting in, but they come later. I'd have to ask my husband, I know he has some terrible stories from his own high school years.

Hi Kadia! I only have the vaguest memory of pettiskirts. I looked them up in google, and I don't remember ever wearing one, so maybe they have changed. Either that or you never let me get one =)
Anonymous said…
Your not remembering them would be because they weren't around when you were younger. I saw pettiskirts in the newspaper this week as a popular item for young girls; they look like long ballet tutus--very full and with a lot of nylon net. Would have to be pretty resistant to fire, I think, but would be fun to twirl in. Maybe they haven't hit NC yet.

Popular posts from this blog

My hero, Helen Parr

Otherwise known as Elastigirl , a.k.a Mrs. Incredible. She is a stay at home mom ( SAHM ), she clearly feels that what she is doing is important and is willing to give up a lot to do it (remember her comment in the intro: "I'm at the top of my game! Leave saving the world to the guys? I don't think so.") But she is finding fulfillment in leading her family from day to day, in doing a hard job well. She also knows that she is very talented, and that knowledge helps her see beyond the repetitive drudgery of staying home. My favorite scene is from the deleted introduction, where she talks with a "career woman" who is of the opinion that staying home is fine for people who can't do anything else. She responds that taking care of her kid is at least as hard as saving the world, and is valuable contribution to society. The point for me is that someone has to do the job that I'm doing, and it's not something that you could pay someone to do. I see...

Things that are true

"Axial tilt is the reason for the season." (Picture a globe with the northern hemisphere tilted away from the sun...) I believe this is meant to be an anti-theist slogan, although I would point out that I believe there is a reason for the axial tilt. This is a runner up to my favorite true science picture, the "Gravity Forecast." I linked to this when I was a graduate student, but the site is long since down. Picture a weather forecast graphic, but instead of clouds and temperatures, the 5-day forecast predicts 9.8 m/s^2 down. Even the idea still makes me laugh, perhaps I will reproduce it someday. Luke cut his 4th tooth today (Finally!). So far they haven't caused us too much trouble. We'll see what happens when he gets his canines.

Why the world is frustrating

It is very frustrating to be 2. Michael and I have been teaching Luke about closing doors and turning off lights---both good habits. He really enjoys opening the refrigerator door. He knows how to turn out the light. But when I try to get him to shut the refrigerator door, he screams, "Turn out the light!" He keeps getting in the way of the door so that he can push the little button. As far as I know, he's trying to turn off the light before we shut the door, and the fact that it keeps coming back on when we move him out of the way so we can shut the door drives him crazy. He doesn't believe us that the light goes out when the door is shut, and after all, how do we know ourselves? We've never seen it, we use logic. But this makes any attempt to shut the door a battle, unless I sneak over there without him seeing.