Skip to main content

Funny stories

I've been trying to write insightful, thoughtful posts about the nature of parenting and noticing your own character flaws in your children and trying to save them from themselves. It never comes out the way I want it to, so I'll post some cute kid stories instead (which, frankly, is one of the main purposes of this blog as well as the main interest of many of its family readers).

Amanda comes home with pictures from preschool fairly regularly. Yesterday marks the first time she told me what they were pictures of. The first was a moose. The second was a train. She informed me that "The train does not have a cape." Hmmm.

I watched Luke and a 4 month old baby in the nursery at church the other day. What a difference! The 4 month old sat in the baby swing and batted at the toys hanging over it. One of the toys was a handle that caused music to play and lights to flash when you pulled it. The little baby liked the lights, but wasn't quite coordinated enough to grab the handle and pull (and perhaps didn't have the necessary cause and effect ideas). Luke would crawl over to the handle repeatedly and pull the handle, to the delight of both babies.

Comments

David Christian said…
I like your stories about what it's like to be a parent best, and the tough decisions that go along with it, as I think it helps me understand you and Steph better. I really liked the story about eleanor's acrobatics and also the one about amanda running away. Although, honestly, I love it all. Keep it up, mathmom, it's great reading.
mathmom said…
Thanks David! It is nice having encouragement. Frankly, the toughest part about writing a blog right now is lack of sleep, too many things I *should* be doing (cleaning and other household chores) and the perception that life isn't really interesting. The greatest antidote to those feelings is to think of family who want to know what we're up to and to think of the kids' children, who might want to know what their parents were like as kids.

Popular posts from this blog

My hero, Helen Parr

Otherwise known as Elastigirl , a.k.a Mrs. Incredible. She is a stay at home mom ( SAHM ), she clearly feels that what she is doing is important and is willing to give up a lot to do it (remember her comment in the intro: "I'm at the top of my game! Leave saving the world to the guys? I don't think so.") But she is finding fulfillment in leading her family from day to day, in doing a hard job well. She also knows that she is very talented, and that knowledge helps her see beyond the repetitive drudgery of staying home. My favorite scene is from the deleted introduction, where she talks with a "career woman" who is of the opinion that staying home is fine for people who can't do anything else. She responds that taking care of her kid is at least as hard as saving the world, and is valuable contribution to society. The point for me is that someone has to do the job that I'm doing, and it's not something that you could pay someone to do. I see...

Things that are true

"Axial tilt is the reason for the season." (Picture a globe with the northern hemisphere tilted away from the sun...) I believe this is meant to be an anti-theist slogan, although I would point out that I believe there is a reason for the axial tilt. This is a runner up to my favorite true science picture, the "Gravity Forecast." I linked to this when I was a graduate student, but the site is long since down. Picture a weather forecast graphic, but instead of clouds and temperatures, the 5-day forecast predicts 9.8 m/s^2 down. Even the idea still makes me laugh, perhaps I will reproduce it someday. Luke cut his 4th tooth today (Finally!). So far they haven't caused us too much trouble. We'll see what happens when he gets his canines.

Why the world is frustrating

It is very frustrating to be 2. Michael and I have been teaching Luke about closing doors and turning off lights---both good habits. He really enjoys opening the refrigerator door. He knows how to turn out the light. But when I try to get him to shut the refrigerator door, he screams, "Turn out the light!" He keeps getting in the way of the door so that he can push the little button. As far as I know, he's trying to turn off the light before we shut the door, and the fact that it keeps coming back on when we move him out of the way so we can shut the door drives him crazy. He doesn't believe us that the light goes out when the door is shut, and after all, how do we know ourselves? We've never seen it, we use logic. But this makes any attempt to shut the door a battle, unless I sneak over there without him seeing.