Skip to main content

Feeding Children

Cooking for my children is not a gratifying experience. I am not a terrible cook (according to Michael), I enjoy cooking when I have time, I like making new recipes, I have a subscription to Cooking Light and use the web archive of recipes often. One of the reasons I need my computer in the kitchen is to access the recipes I've stored. (I realize that not everyone likes to cook, I'm pretty sure that there are things they do that I am not interested in doing. One of my good friends doesn't cook, but is a good gardener, which is something I very much dislike, for example.)

If you ask Eleanor, however, I make the worst food in the world. After much bargaining we agreed that she is free to dislike what I make, she is free to tell me how much she dislikes it, but once we sit down at the table she can't comment on how awful the food is. She keeps her end of the bargain, and I only make her eat a few bites of the main dish, a good serving of vegetables or fruit, and then she can have bread with or without butter, and maybe some cheese. If she had her way, we'd eat pancakes every day, although she will eat hamburgers (no bun, with lots of ketchup). There are a few other things I make that I think she has grown a little fond of---I can tell because she doesn't complain quite as vigorously.

Amanda is a special case. She likes eating MEAT, which is good because there isn't really a lot else she can eat. She's the main reason we cook a lot: since she's allergic to wheat, dairy, egg, soy, peanut, tree nuts, and barley, it's hard to buy processed food. It is surprisingly easy to modify many of Cooking Light's main dish recipes to avoid these allergens---use rice pasta, or rice bread crumbs, or applesauce instead of eggs. Her favorite meal is my crock pot beef stew. I have given up baking for her (except pancakes) since I don't think I've ever made any cookie or muffin from scratch that she hasn't taken one bite of and wiped the rest off her tongue. I'm afraid that there is something in there that she's allergic to, so I don't make her eat it, but it is disheartening to make something specially for her and have it rejected. I made pumpkin muffins for her preschool class on Halloween using oat and rice flour and egg replacer. Amanda didn't like them, but the rest of the class enjoyed them.

Today I "cooked" for Luke for the first time: peas and brown rice puree. I felt very virtuous for making my own baby food. He was completely unimpressed---he made an awful face and started reaching for the stuff from the jar. Sigh. I was hoping that he'd like my cooking for a while before the dislike settled in, no such luck.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My hero, Helen Parr

Otherwise known as Elastigirl , a.k.a Mrs. Incredible. She is a stay at home mom ( SAHM ), she clearly feels that what she is doing is important and is willing to give up a lot to do it (remember her comment in the intro: "I'm at the top of my game! Leave saving the world to the guys? I don't think so.") But she is finding fulfillment in leading her family from day to day, in doing a hard job well. She also knows that she is very talented, and that knowledge helps her see beyond the repetitive drudgery of staying home. My favorite scene is from the deleted introduction, where she talks with a "career woman" who is of the opinion that staying home is fine for people who can't do anything else. She responds that taking care of her kid is at least as hard as saving the world, and is valuable contribution to society. The point for me is that someone has to do the job that I'm doing, and it's not something that you could pay someone to do. I see...

Things that are true

"Axial tilt is the reason for the season." (Picture a globe with the northern hemisphere tilted away from the sun...) I believe this is meant to be an anti-theist slogan, although I would point out that I believe there is a reason for the axial tilt. This is a runner up to my favorite true science picture, the "Gravity Forecast." I linked to this when I was a graduate student, but the site is long since down. Picture a weather forecast graphic, but instead of clouds and temperatures, the 5-day forecast predicts 9.8 m/s^2 down. Even the idea still makes me laugh, perhaps I will reproduce it someday. Luke cut his 4th tooth today (Finally!). So far they haven't caused us too much trouble. We'll see what happens when he gets his canines.

Why the world is frustrating

It is very frustrating to be 2. Michael and I have been teaching Luke about closing doors and turning off lights---both good habits. He really enjoys opening the refrigerator door. He knows how to turn out the light. But when I try to get him to shut the refrigerator door, he screams, "Turn out the light!" He keeps getting in the way of the door so that he can push the little button. As far as I know, he's trying to turn off the light before we shut the door, and the fact that it keeps coming back on when we move him out of the way so we can shut the door drives him crazy. He doesn't believe us that the light goes out when the door is shut, and after all, how do we know ourselves? We've never seen it, we use logic. But this makes any attempt to shut the door a battle, unless I sneak over there without him seeing.