Skip to main content

Free Rice

A friend recently pointed me to the web site FreeRice The idea is that you play a vocabulary game, and for every word you guess correctly, the advertisers will donate 20 grains of rice to the world food program run by the UN. Since there are about 7200 grains of rice in a cup (found through google, so it must be true) and since this game is tremendously addicting (I easily get to my personal limit, 2000 grains of rice a day) it seems like a good deal all around.

The best part is that anyone can play at her own level. I have been learning new words: nidus means nest and nabob means important official, for example. Then tonight I introduced Eleanor to the game. She gets excited when she gets words right, like snake means serpent ("I learned that from Narnia!") She doesn't always know what she is guessing, but I think she's learning new words, or at least that it is fun to know words. She also has learned some about what kids in other countries have to eat every day.

p.s. After doing a bit of reading, I learned a bit more about the site. I guess my main concern might be that it is not a 501c3 charity, so no one sees the books to see how much revenue is generated by the ads vs. how much rice is donated. However, I am naive enough not to worry about this. Another concern is that it is much more efficient for me to send actual money to poverty causes than it is to play this game, so let me encourage all of you readers to find a worthwhile organization to donate to. There are other concerns as well, none of which currently override the main point of the game, which is fighting world hunger with literacy (and fun!).

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My hero, Helen Parr

Otherwise known as Elastigirl , a.k.a Mrs. Incredible. She is a stay at home mom ( SAHM ), she clearly feels that what she is doing is important and is willing to give up a lot to do it (remember her comment in the intro: "I'm at the top of my game! Leave saving the world to the guys? I don't think so.") But she is finding fulfillment in leading her family from day to day, in doing a hard job well. She also knows that she is very talented, and that knowledge helps her see beyond the repetitive drudgery of staying home. My favorite scene is from the deleted introduction, where she talks with a "career woman" who is of the opinion that staying home is fine for people who can't do anything else. She responds that taking care of her kid is at least as hard as saving the world, and is valuable contribution to society. The point for me is that someone has to do the job that I'm doing, and it's not something that you could pay someone to do. I see...

Things that are true

"Axial tilt is the reason for the season." (Picture a globe with the northern hemisphere tilted away from the sun...) I believe this is meant to be an anti-theist slogan, although I would point out that I believe there is a reason for the axial tilt. This is a runner up to my favorite true science picture, the "Gravity Forecast." I linked to this when I was a graduate student, but the site is long since down. Picture a weather forecast graphic, but instead of clouds and temperatures, the 5-day forecast predicts 9.8 m/s^2 down. Even the idea still makes me laugh, perhaps I will reproduce it someday. Luke cut his 4th tooth today (Finally!). So far they haven't caused us too much trouble. We'll see what happens when he gets his canines.

Why the world is frustrating

It is very frustrating to be 2. Michael and I have been teaching Luke about closing doors and turning off lights---both good habits. He really enjoys opening the refrigerator door. He knows how to turn out the light. But when I try to get him to shut the refrigerator door, he screams, "Turn out the light!" He keeps getting in the way of the door so that he can push the little button. As far as I know, he's trying to turn off the light before we shut the door, and the fact that it keeps coming back on when we move him out of the way so we can shut the door drives him crazy. He doesn't believe us that the light goes out when the door is shut, and after all, how do we know ourselves? We've never seen it, we use logic. But this makes any attempt to shut the door a battle, unless I sneak over there without him seeing.