Skip to main content

School anxiety

Here's another thing I didn't know happened in kindergarten.

Today was a hard day---I had to take the girls to school with baby Luke, so we were running just barely on time, until as we were driving down the block I realized I had forgotten something at home. Then we got behind a school bus. Then we came to an accident: someone had tried to pull a u-haul trailer across a ditch, and had gotten stuck half-way into the right lane. So we were really late. Then Eleanor started complaining that her tummy hurt.

Well, Eleanor complains that her tummy hurts all the time. We finally figured out that she's lactose intolerant, so that helps quite a bit, but she still has a lot of trouble. Fortunately, it usually passes and is not severe. This time, however, she was saying that she felt like she had to throw up and she looked awful. Well, I hadn't planned on keeping her home, but that was ok. But then she perked up when I said it was my turn to help in her classroom. Hmm, could this be psychological rather than physical?

I realized that the tummy hurting came on when I started telling the girls that we were going to be really late. "Eleanor, are you worried about being late?" Silence. "Eleanor, what happens when you are late?" "I might not get to finish my morning work!" says Eleanor, in an anguished voice. Bingo! I think.

"Eleanor, what do the other kids do when they are late and they can't finish their work?" "They finish their work during rest and read! Or maybe they do it at centers!" (she's definitely perking up at this point.) We talked for a little while longer about the fact that it's not so bad to be late, and by the time she got to school she definitely was feeling better, although she was still worried about being late: she ran from the car to her classroom without her jacket =).

I guess it's a good idea to talk about being late in order to encourage promptness, but a little goes a long way.

Comments

Anonymous said…
You are a smart mom.

Love,
Steph
mathmom said…
Hi Steph!

(blush) aw, thanks =) I admit, I did feel pretty clever.

Popular posts from this blog

My hero, Helen Parr

Otherwise known as Elastigirl , a.k.a Mrs. Incredible. She is a stay at home mom ( SAHM ), she clearly feels that what she is doing is important and is willing to give up a lot to do it (remember her comment in the intro: "I'm at the top of my game! Leave saving the world to the guys? I don't think so.") But she is finding fulfillment in leading her family from day to day, in doing a hard job well. She also knows that she is very talented, and that knowledge helps her see beyond the repetitive drudgery of staying home. My favorite scene is from the deleted introduction, where she talks with a "career woman" who is of the opinion that staying home is fine for people who can't do anything else. She responds that taking care of her kid is at least as hard as saving the world, and is valuable contribution to society. The point for me is that someone has to do the job that I'm doing, and it's not something that you could pay someone to do. I see...

Things that are true

"Axial tilt is the reason for the season." (Picture a globe with the northern hemisphere tilted away from the sun...) I believe this is meant to be an anti-theist slogan, although I would point out that I believe there is a reason for the axial tilt. This is a runner up to my favorite true science picture, the "Gravity Forecast." I linked to this when I was a graduate student, but the site is long since down. Picture a weather forecast graphic, but instead of clouds and temperatures, the 5-day forecast predicts 9.8 m/s^2 down. Even the idea still makes me laugh, perhaps I will reproduce it someday. Luke cut his 4th tooth today (Finally!). So far they haven't caused us too much trouble. We'll see what happens when he gets his canines.

Why the world is frustrating

It is very frustrating to be 2. Michael and I have been teaching Luke about closing doors and turning off lights---both good habits. He really enjoys opening the refrigerator door. He knows how to turn out the light. But when I try to get him to shut the refrigerator door, he screams, "Turn out the light!" He keeps getting in the way of the door so that he can push the little button. As far as I know, he's trying to turn off the light before we shut the door, and the fact that it keeps coming back on when we move him out of the way so we can shut the door drives him crazy. He doesn't believe us that the light goes out when the door is shut, and after all, how do we know ourselves? We've never seen it, we use logic. But this makes any attempt to shut the door a battle, unless I sneak over there without him seeing.