Skip to main content

The quality of mercy is not strain'd

The other day we went to viola/violin lessons.  Since Luke was out of school he got to come with us.  Eleanor and Amanda each have a 45 minute lesson, I have a half-hour lesson, so that means Luke gets to wait for 2 hours while his sisters have lessons.  Ah, the joy of being the 3rd child.

In addition, after the first lesson of each month, we get a "treat" at the local coffee shop.  They sell bubble teas, as well as lots of other bakery treats.  Luke had had a treat after his piano lesson the week before, so just the girls needed a treat that week.

As you might guess, Luke asked for a treat while his sisters were getting a treat.  I pointed out that he had already had a treat and that it wouldn't be fair for him to have another, but I didn't say it was out of the question.  In my mind, I was thinking that he had behaved very nicely during the lesson and he was pretty hungry since it was close to lunch.  I was almost ready to say that he could have something small when he started bugging me incessantly about how he needed a treat.

It was an interesting situation: I had been ready to be merciful and give him a reward---but as soon as it became about him asking me over and over and over (after repeated requests for him to just stop talking about it) I really couldn't give him anything. At first I thought that maybe it was about me needing to feel merciful, but I think that what is going on is that when he keeps insisting that he is right and that he have his way, we cannot give in even if we had originally wanted to.  It's hard for him to let something go, but it's a lesson he needs to learn.  Probably it's my fault for giving in to him too much as a younger child...

I told him all this so that hopefully he learns not to bug  people.  Maybe we will both learn something.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why you should study the history of math

  Why you should study the history of math In the mid 1300s a fad made its way around Italy. Mathematicians would challenge each other to “mathematical duels”. They would post problems for their opponents to solve, sometimes along with their solutions in coded poetry. The winners would get support and funding from rich patrons, the losers would descend into obscurity. One such contest, between Fiore and Tartaglia, involved a new method for solving the cubic. In order to win, Tartaglia worked day and night to find Fiore’s method---unfortunately, Fiore did not do the same and only knew his own method and no others. (*Recall that the formula for solutions to quadratic equations of the form use the quadratic formula, Giorlamo Cardano---physician, philosopher, astrologer and mathematician---convinced Tartaglia to share his method and promised never to reveal it. Then Cardano figured out a more general method, and wanted to share it, but was blocked by his promises. Fortunately (for Cardan

Southern butter mints---vegan edition

After the last post, we started to be able to see what the fuss was about.  The ones made with twice the butter were the best candy I have ever tasted.  Ever.  So then we started experimenting.  How long do you pull it?  Longer than you think.  And then pull a minute or two after that.  Suddenly every single batch was creaming, pretty much right after we would cut them. I tried adding less than double butter and I think they taste much better (more delicate, according to one taste tester). The latest experiment we did involved using Earth Balance instead of butter.  It cooked pretty much the same as usual, although I was distracted right at the moment I had to pull it off the stove so it cooked maybe a bit longer than usual.  Amanda and I each pulled a quarter, while Luke pulled the bigger half.  Luke's really wasn't turning very fast---perhaps because it was too hot when he took it off the marble.  Mine was turning faster than Amanda's so we traded for a while.  Aman

Southern Butter Mints part 1

Some friends of ours have a granddaughter getting married (and she's a friend of ours as well) and so I agreed to help out with the shower.  Apparently this is to be a "southern" shower, full of tradition and elegance, but not too far over the top. Among things that are needed for a shower are punch with great grandma's punch bowl, sandwiches with cream cheese and green pepper jelly, and southern pulled butter mints.  "Ah, nobody can make those anymore.  We used to know someone, but the tradition needs to be passed down."  Like a fool, I said that I'd be happy to give it a try.  I suffer greatly from "I got a PhD in math, how hard could X be?" where X is something like gardening, or quilting, or cleaning, etc.  It's always harder than I think it will be. "We'll call Mrs. X who makes these, maybe she'll pass down the method.  I hope you don't hate me!"  I was actually planning on doing research online, watching a fe