Skip to main content

Aliens for dinner

We had an actually pleasant dinner last night, which makes me wonder if my children have been replaced by aliens and if I have to try to get my children back.

We had pork chops, cooked with apricot jam and ginger, along with broccoli. When I carried the pork chops out to the table, Amanda made gagging noises about the "white hamburgers", and was trying to tell me that she hated them, but I made her try one. She proceeded to eat all the meat on her plate (and afterwards told daddy that the white hamburgers were really yummy!).

Eleanor was pacified by giving her a sharp knife. She did use the knife to cut off all the "skin" (the part with the jam on it, since she doesn't like sauce) and kept trying to use her fingers instead of her fork to hold the meat as she cut, but she was too distracted by the fun of a new, dangerous tool to complain much.

Luke ate his usual amount without much fuss. He has a tendency to stuff 4 or more pieces of food into his mouth and then cry because he can't chew with his mouth so full, but he only did this once last night.

We also had broccoli, which the girls like to dip in butter (actually margarine). One of my theories of serving vegetables is that you can't put too much butter on them. Michael disagrees, but the girls agree with me. Amanda asked for seconds and thirds of broccoli---I didn't give her very much at a time, but it still gave me a kick to have her ask for more. Eleanor eats the stalks and Amanda eats the florets, so they give each other the leftovers.

What else went well? No screaming, no glasses of juice spilled, pleasant conversation without fights or threats, no "you must eat one more bite to get dessert!". Hardly any food on the floor. Some use of forks. I only had to herd the kids back to the table 2 times. Healthy food, a beautiful sunset, what could be better?

It strikes me, reading this, that perhaps the reason I am thinking dinner was so pleasant is because my standards have gone down. Oh well, I hope tonight is just as nice.

Here is the recipe for the "white hamburgers" Amanda liked. It probably takes about 15 minutes to cook, maybe a little more if your pork chops are thick.

Apricot Pork, based on a Cooking Light recipe

4 boneless pork chops
cooking spray
salt and pepper
1/3 cup apricot jam
1/3 cup broth
2 tsp fresh ginger (I use the ginger people bottled)

Heat a non-stick skillet coated with cooking spray. Cook the pork chops until they're done (about 10 minutes per inch of thickness). To help them cook faster, cook with a lid on for the first 7 minutes or so. Take off and set aside.

Mix up the jam, ginger and the broth. Add to the hot skillet you used to cook the pork and scrape up any bits that are left. Cook for 1-2 minutes, then return the pork to the pan. Turn to coat the pork. Serve drizzled with sauce, unless you're Eleanor.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why you should study the history of math

  Why you should study the history of math In the mid 1300s a fad made its way around Italy. Mathematicians would challenge each other to “mathematical duels”. They would post problems for their opponents to solve, sometimes along with their solutions in coded poetry. The winners would get support and funding from rich patrons, the losers would descend into obscurity. One such contest, between Fiore and Tartaglia, involved a new method for solving the cubic. In order to win, Tartaglia worked day and night to find Fiore’s method---unfortunately, Fiore did not do the same and only knew his own method and no others. (*Recall that the formula for solutions to quadratic equations of the form use the quadratic formula, Giorlamo Cardano---physician, philosopher, astrologer and mathematician---convinced Tartaglia to share his method and promised never to reveal it. Then Cardano figured out a more general method, and wanted to share it, but was blocked by his promises. Fortunately (for Cardan

Southern butter mints---vegan edition

After the last post, we started to be able to see what the fuss was about.  The ones made with twice the butter were the best candy I have ever tasted.  Ever.  So then we started experimenting.  How long do you pull it?  Longer than you think.  And then pull a minute or two after that.  Suddenly every single batch was creaming, pretty much right after we would cut them. I tried adding less than double butter and I think they taste much better (more delicate, according to one taste tester). The latest experiment we did involved using Earth Balance instead of butter.  It cooked pretty much the same as usual, although I was distracted right at the moment I had to pull it off the stove so it cooked maybe a bit longer than usual.  Amanda and I each pulled a quarter, while Luke pulled the bigger half.  Luke's really wasn't turning very fast---perhaps because it was too hot when he took it off the marble.  Mine was turning faster than Amanda's so we traded for a while.  Aman

Southern Butter Mints part 1

Some friends of ours have a granddaughter getting married (and she's a friend of ours as well) and so I agreed to help out with the shower.  Apparently this is to be a "southern" shower, full of tradition and elegance, but not too far over the top. Among things that are needed for a shower are punch with great grandma's punch bowl, sandwiches with cream cheese and green pepper jelly, and southern pulled butter mints.  "Ah, nobody can make those anymore.  We used to know someone, but the tradition needs to be passed down."  Like a fool, I said that I'd be happy to give it a try.  I suffer greatly from "I got a PhD in math, how hard could X be?" where X is something like gardening, or quilting, or cleaning, etc.  It's always harder than I think it will be. "We'll call Mrs. X who makes these, maybe she'll pass down the method.  I hope you don't hate me!"  I was actually planning on doing research online, watching a fe