Skip to main content

Entropy

I would like to register a complaint. I am trying my best to put things away, keep things in their proper places, be organized, so that when I need something I know where to find it. My son thinks it is his job (perhaps his calling) to take things out of their proper places and scatter them throughout the house.

Today I needed the lime squeezer (I made chicken chili). As I looked in the utensil drawer, I had a vague visual memory of Luke carrying the squeezer around, gleefully opening and closing it. I have no idea where it is.

A few days ago I got out Luke's monitor (we haven't had it on for a few weeks now) so that the babysitter could sit in the basement and watch TV while still listening for Luke. I kept careful track of it for most of the day, until it was time to put lotion on Amanda. As I did that, I heard Luke laughing and running around. When I was done with Amanda, the monitor was gone. I still can't find it.

Luke loves playing with the ladle. Usually I let him (he says "bowl! Bowl") as he carries it around and pretends to cook with it. This is usually fine, since I always find it before I need it. This morning he was playing with it. This afternoon I needed it. I couldn't find it.

Finally, he enjoys going to the kids' dishes drawer, finding the sippy cup lids, taking out the valves and separating the valves from the lids and the cups. I have very carefully kept an inventory of cups and valves, so that I don't end up with week old cups of milk in random places in the house. Also, we have exactly 4 cup/lid/valve sets, and I really don't want to have to buy any more. However, with no sets in the drawer or dishwasher, I might have to give in.

A friend of mine (a physics major) once speculated that because children were sites of locally decreasing entropy, all around them entropy had to increase. Although I may have misunderstood the precise meaning of the physics involved, Luke seems bent on being the poster child for that theory.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Last I saw it, the citrus press was on the side table by the fireplace.
mathmom said…
Found! Thank you, anonymous! I found the ladle in the dishwasher (after I rescued it from Luke). Any clues on the monitor? =)
kadia said…
Even before he could speak, David was extremely good at finding things, whether he'd removed them himself or not. You just had to ask in a way he could understand, and he'd either bring it back or show you where it was. Just a thought.
mathmom said…
That's a good idea. He did find the monitor (in our closet). The ladle was in the dishwasher, where I had put it so that I could wash it. The sippy cup valve reappeared while Amanda was exploring on the porch. I don't know how she found it or where it was...

Popular posts from this blog

Why you should study the history of math

  Why you should study the history of math In the mid 1300s a fad made its way around Italy. Mathematicians would challenge each other to “mathematical duels”. They would post problems for their opponents to solve, sometimes along with their solutions in coded poetry. The winners would get support and funding from rich patrons, the losers would descend into obscurity. One such contest, between Fiore and Tartaglia, involved a new method for solving the cubic. In order to win, Tartaglia worked day and night to find Fiore’s method---unfortunately, Fiore did not do the same and only knew his own method and no others. (*Recall that the formula for solutions to quadratic equations of the form use the quadratic formula, Giorlamo Cardano---physician, philosopher, astrologer and mathematician---convinced Tartaglia to share his method and promised never to reveal it. Then Cardano figured out a more general method, and wanted to share it, but was blocked by his promises. Fortunately (for Cardan

Southern butter mints---vegan edition

After the last post, we started to be able to see what the fuss was about.  The ones made with twice the butter were the best candy I have ever tasted.  Ever.  So then we started experimenting.  How long do you pull it?  Longer than you think.  And then pull a minute or two after that.  Suddenly every single batch was creaming, pretty much right after we would cut them. I tried adding less than double butter and I think they taste much better (more delicate, according to one taste tester). The latest experiment we did involved using Earth Balance instead of butter.  It cooked pretty much the same as usual, although I was distracted right at the moment I had to pull it off the stove so it cooked maybe a bit longer than usual.  Amanda and I each pulled a quarter, while Luke pulled the bigger half.  Luke's really wasn't turning very fast---perhaps because it was too hot when he took it off the marble.  Mine was turning faster than Amanda's so we traded for a while.  Aman

Southern Butter Mints part 1

Some friends of ours have a granddaughter getting married (and she's a friend of ours as well) and so I agreed to help out with the shower.  Apparently this is to be a "southern" shower, full of tradition and elegance, but not too far over the top. Among things that are needed for a shower are punch with great grandma's punch bowl, sandwiches with cream cheese and green pepper jelly, and southern pulled butter mints.  "Ah, nobody can make those anymore.  We used to know someone, but the tradition needs to be passed down."  Like a fool, I said that I'd be happy to give it a try.  I suffer greatly from "I got a PhD in math, how hard could X be?" where X is something like gardening, or quilting, or cleaning, etc.  It's always harder than I think it will be. "We'll call Mrs. X who makes these, maybe she'll pass down the method.  I hope you don't hate me!"  I was actually planning on doing research online, watching a fe