Skip to main content

Language Follies

In her latest blog entry
(Letters from a broad...: Est-ce que it pokes?)
C.L. Hanson talks about her son's bringing of French grammar and phrases into English. One of her comments raises the question of how the language you speak influences the way you think. I've been wondering about this and the ease/difficulty of saying no and yes in various languages and whether this might influence the famous negativity of toddlers.

For example, one of a baby's first words (at least English speaking babies) is "Da," yes in Russian. Does this mean that when a baby babbles in Russian they are saying "yes yes yes yes..."? Would this have an effect on power struggles, or the way a parent interacts with a baby? Compared to Luke who is already learning "nnnnnnn" when he doesn't like something, a baby babbling "yes" would seem to put a positive spin on the whole situation.

Luke is also learning to shake his head "no!" at things---it is actually very difficult to nod your head "yes". I think he enjoys the sense of power it gives him to say no---either that, or he enjoys the reactions of those around him when he gestures no. Amanda in particular will always answer his head shaking by nodding and saying "yes yes yes yes!" They nod and shake until both of them are giggling.

The word "yes" is very hard to say, as well. Around here it is practically a 2 syllable word, with 2 hard sounds (y and s). If it were easier to say, would a 2 year old employ it more often than "no"?

Right now, listening to Eleanor and Amanda try to learn English (we have talked about teaching them french but frankly, neither Michael or I have the skills) I am amazed that anyone ever learns to talk. Amanda is experimenting with prepositions, which seem to be almost randomly applied. I can only remember a few of her constructions "Buckle me out! Put the clothes off! Take these blankets on me." I understand what she is trying to say in every case, but I also have learned somehow, without being explicitly taught, that we don't say those things in English.

The girls are also having trouble with irregular verbs. "I runned to the door." Or even, "I runnded to the door." After a while listening to them, I find myself not trusting my own knowledge of verb formation. This is one of the reasons that parents need to have conversations with other adults once in a while. I choose to believe that the reason the girls are having trouble with these is that they have learned the rules so thoroughly and are applying them, and so their mistakes show how smart they are =)

My favorite language logic has to do with the cereal "Kix". If Amanda has a bowl of Kix, and offers one to Luke, she says "Have a Kick." Makes sense to me, and it's almost always clear that she doesn't intend to use her foot.

Comments

C. L. Hanson said…
That is so cute!!!

My kids try to regularize irregular words too. :D
mathmom said…
One wonders why they became irregular in the first place... It seems like it would save so much trouble if they had been developed with more care =) Wikipedia says that irregular verbs are remnants of other verb conjugation systems.

Language is fascinating, especially watching kids learn it.
C. L. Hanson said…
I just thought of a funny example of regularizing that my kids do! They say his, hers, theirs, yours, and myse. ;^)

It is kind of interesting to wonder how they became irregular. I think it's that the grammar rules shift -- and the less common words get regularized by each successive generation of kids -- but the most common words retain archaic forms. Steven Pinker has a really interesting book on irregular forms in language and how they work (sadly I can't remember the title...).
mathmom said…
Is this the one you are thinking of? Words and Rules

There is a pdf of his lecture that agrees with exactly what you are saying about regularization: the most common english verbs are irregular, the least common are regular, presumably because a whole generation of kids has grown up without memorizing the irregular forms (my paraphrase of his text).

My biggest problem is that at the end of a day of talking to my kids, I find myself being unsure of what the proper form is. Perhaps I should just relax and take it as part of the evolution of language.

Popular posts from this blog

Why you should study the history of math

  Why you should study the history of math In the mid 1300s a fad made its way around Italy. Mathematicians would challenge each other to “mathematical duels”. They would post problems for their opponents to solve, sometimes along with their solutions in coded poetry. The winners would get support and funding from rich patrons, the losers would descend into obscurity. One such contest, between Fiore and Tartaglia, involved a new method for solving the cubic. In order to win, Tartaglia worked day and night to find Fiore’s method---unfortunately, Fiore did not do the same and only knew his own method and no others. (*Recall that the formula for solutions to quadratic equations of the form use the quadratic formula, Giorlamo Cardano---physician, philosopher, astrologer and mathematician---convinced Tartaglia to share his method and promised never to reveal it. Then Cardano figured out a more general method, and wanted to share it, but was blocked by his promises. Fortunately (for Cardan

Southern butter mints---vegan edition

After the last post, we started to be able to see what the fuss was about.  The ones made with twice the butter were the best candy I have ever tasted.  Ever.  So then we started experimenting.  How long do you pull it?  Longer than you think.  And then pull a minute or two after that.  Suddenly every single batch was creaming, pretty much right after we would cut them. I tried adding less than double butter and I think they taste much better (more delicate, according to one taste tester). The latest experiment we did involved using Earth Balance instead of butter.  It cooked pretty much the same as usual, although I was distracted right at the moment I had to pull it off the stove so it cooked maybe a bit longer than usual.  Amanda and I each pulled a quarter, while Luke pulled the bigger half.  Luke's really wasn't turning very fast---perhaps because it was too hot when he took it off the marble.  Mine was turning faster than Amanda's so we traded for a while.  Aman

Southern Butter Mints part 1

Some friends of ours have a granddaughter getting married (and she's a friend of ours as well) and so I agreed to help out with the shower.  Apparently this is to be a "southern" shower, full of tradition and elegance, but not too far over the top. Among things that are needed for a shower are punch with great grandma's punch bowl, sandwiches with cream cheese and green pepper jelly, and southern pulled butter mints.  "Ah, nobody can make those anymore.  We used to know someone, but the tradition needs to be passed down."  Like a fool, I said that I'd be happy to give it a try.  I suffer greatly from "I got a PhD in math, how hard could X be?" where X is something like gardening, or quilting, or cleaning, etc.  It's always harder than I think it will be. "We'll call Mrs. X who makes these, maybe she'll pass down the method.  I hope you don't hate me!"  I was actually planning on doing research online, watching a fe