Skip to main content

Matamoscas arriba!

Today I had the chance to visit Eleanor's Spanish class. They sang an alphabet song, learned how to say some letters of the alphabet, reviewed color words, and so on. They also played a highly amusing game.

Imagine about 22 kindergartners gathered around a rug. There are 4 letter cards in the center. The SeƱora announces they are going to play the matamosca game, and the children practically cheer! I don't know what she is talking about until she gets out two fly swatters.

She chooses the first players: Eleanor contra Ashley. She announces, "Matamoscas arriba!" She then tells them (in Spanish) to point to the letter G. The first one who points to the correct letter is the winner, although I'm not sure that anyone except the winner paid attention to this.

After each round, she announces the next combatants: "Jim contra Amanda!" A murmur goes through the crowd, as they pick their winners (and place their bets). It is almost exactly the scene in the movies at a boxing match when the announcer tells who is in each corner. After each round the children congratulate the winner on her way back to the edge of the ring.

I had a great time. Eleanor informed me later that she would prefer it if I not sing the songs.
Plus, I now know how to ask for a flyswatter in Spanish.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My hero, Helen Parr

Otherwise known as Elastigirl , a.k.a Mrs. Incredible. She is a stay at home mom ( SAHM ), she clearly feels that what she is doing is important and is willing to give up a lot to do it (remember her comment in the intro: "I'm at the top of my game! Leave saving the world to the guys? I don't think so.") But she is finding fulfillment in leading her family from day to day, in doing a hard job well. She also knows that she is very talented, and that knowledge helps her see beyond the repetitive drudgery of staying home. My favorite scene is from the deleted introduction, where she talks with a "career woman" who is of the opinion that staying home is fine for people who can't do anything else. She responds that taking care of her kid is at least as hard as saving the world, and is valuable contribution to society. The point for me is that someone has to do the job that I'm doing, and it's not something that you could pay someone to do. I see...

Things that are true

"Axial tilt is the reason for the season." (Picture a globe with the northern hemisphere tilted away from the sun...) I believe this is meant to be an anti-theist slogan, although I would point out that I believe there is a reason for the axial tilt. This is a runner up to my favorite true science picture, the "Gravity Forecast." I linked to this when I was a graduate student, but the site is long since down. Picture a weather forecast graphic, but instead of clouds and temperatures, the 5-day forecast predicts 9.8 m/s^2 down. Even the idea still makes me laugh, perhaps I will reproduce it someday. Luke cut his 4th tooth today (Finally!). So far they haven't caused us too much trouble. We'll see what happens when he gets his canines.

Why the world is frustrating

It is very frustrating to be 2. Michael and I have been teaching Luke about closing doors and turning off lights---both good habits. He really enjoys opening the refrigerator door. He knows how to turn out the light. But when I try to get him to shut the refrigerator door, he screams, "Turn out the light!" He keeps getting in the way of the door so that he can push the little button. As far as I know, he's trying to turn off the light before we shut the door, and the fact that it keeps coming back on when we move him out of the way so we can shut the door drives him crazy. He doesn't believe us that the light goes out when the door is shut, and after all, how do we know ourselves? We've never seen it, we use logic. But this makes any attempt to shut the door a battle, unless I sneak over there without him seeing.