Skip to main content

Memories on a plate

The other day, during one of the seemingly endless snowstorms of the past few weeks, I needed to make something for dinner.  I really only have a few things I make for dinner over and over, and we had either made all of them recently or I didn't have the ingredients (and I wasn't about to go into the storm to get them).  I had a frozen pork tenderloin, but even though my dad would shovel a path to the grill in the winter I really didn't want to grill it.  My usual rub of thyme, sage and salt didn't sound good to me.  Plus the meat was still frozen and I wanted to cut it smaller to speed up cooking.

I was trying to remember things that my kids liked to eat when they were younger when I remembered gyros and how much Amanda used to like the meat.  I couldn't make gyros, but I found a recipe for souvlaki which consisted of marinating the meat in lemon juice, olive oil, garlic and thyme.

We made it and when I put a bit in my mouth the juices and the crispness brought me back to my trip to Athens over spring break when I was studying abroad.  I was walking through the market after spending the morning at the Parthenon.  I had bought a pair of sandals and a t-shirt for a souvenir and I was looking for things for other family members.  The souvlaki I had that day is still a highlight from my trip, along with the tiramisu we had at a hole-in-the-wall Hungarian restaurant a few days later.  I can still taste it, and the pork I made a few days ago was pretty close to being as good.

We also made pita bread.  Since the oven was being used for roasting cauliflower, we cooked it in more olive oil on the stove.  It reminded me of when my mom made pita bread when I was growing up--back when you had to go to the co-op to find such an exotic bread.  We told my grandfather about how to make it and he would not believe that you only used one flat round of dough---he was absolutely convinced that you had to use two rounds of dough to make the pocket.  So, right at the lake cabin, my mom made a batch for us.  We sat in front of the oven while they baked and watched through the window as they puffed up.

That was one of the things I loved about my grandfather---sometimes he wouldn't know something, but he was always ready to take action to find out the answer.  He was definitely not a Greek philosopher, satisfied with thinking about something to figure it out.  He liked to experience things to discover and understand.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Those are such nice memories. I remember the pita bread, but not the lake episode. That does sound like grandpa, though. And just earlier today I was remembering dad shoveling a path to the grill.

FNDP

Popular posts from this blog

Why you should study the history of math

  Why you should study the history of math In the mid 1300s a fad made its way around Italy. Mathematicians would challenge each other to “mathematical duels”. They would post problems for their opponents to solve, sometimes along with their solutions in coded poetry. The winners would get support and funding from rich patrons, the losers would descend into obscurity. One such contest, between Fiore and Tartaglia, involved a new method for solving the cubic. In order to win, Tartaglia worked day and night to find Fiore’s method---unfortunately, Fiore did not do the same and only knew his own method and no others. (*Recall that the formula for solutions to quadratic equations of the form use the quadratic formula, Giorlamo Cardano---physician, philosopher, astrologer and mathematician---convinced Tartaglia to share his method and promised never to reveal it. Then Cardano figured out a more general method, and wanted to share it, but was blocked by his promises. Fortunately (for Cardan

Southern butter mints---vegan edition

After the last post, we started to be able to see what the fuss was about.  The ones made with twice the butter were the best candy I have ever tasted.  Ever.  So then we started experimenting.  How long do you pull it?  Longer than you think.  And then pull a minute or two after that.  Suddenly every single batch was creaming, pretty much right after we would cut them. I tried adding less than double butter and I think they taste much better (more delicate, according to one taste tester). The latest experiment we did involved using Earth Balance instead of butter.  It cooked pretty much the same as usual, although I was distracted right at the moment I had to pull it off the stove so it cooked maybe a bit longer than usual.  Amanda and I each pulled a quarter, while Luke pulled the bigger half.  Luke's really wasn't turning very fast---perhaps because it was too hot when he took it off the marble.  Mine was turning faster than Amanda's so we traded for a while.  Aman

Southern Butter Mints part 1

Some friends of ours have a granddaughter getting married (and she's a friend of ours as well) and so I agreed to help out with the shower.  Apparently this is to be a "southern" shower, full of tradition and elegance, but not too far over the top. Among things that are needed for a shower are punch with great grandma's punch bowl, sandwiches with cream cheese and green pepper jelly, and southern pulled butter mints.  "Ah, nobody can make those anymore.  We used to know someone, but the tradition needs to be passed down."  Like a fool, I said that I'd be happy to give it a try.  I suffer greatly from "I got a PhD in math, how hard could X be?" where X is something like gardening, or quilting, or cleaning, etc.  It's always harder than I think it will be. "We'll call Mrs. X who makes these, maybe she'll pass down the method.  I hope you don't hate me!"  I was actually planning on doing research online, watching a fe