Skip to main content

Discipline

I have been thinking about discipline lately.  My father-in-law mentioned that my brother-in-law was a very disciplined person.  I don't recall his wasting any time, ever, although he may have.  But mostly he spent his time working on things that were important to him, and accomplished a lot.

On the other side of the equation, he told the story of someone he knew who had been very undisciplined about treating his diabetes.  The diabetic was chewed out by his doctor.

In my life, I feel like I don't have very much discipline.  I'm constantly getting distracted by trivialities, or time wasters, and much of the time I can't make progress on some of the things I want to do.  This is unsatisfying, and I'd like to figure out how to change it.

I think discipline comes in two parts.  First, you must figure out what is important, and then, you need to make a system to actually do the important things.  Sometimes what is important becomes critical and obvious: make these lifestyle changes or you will die.  Other times it comes from our heart, as with people who need to write, or dance, or fly, or any other passion that they cannot live without.  But I think that much of the time we must study and consider what is important. 

I think that Alec spent time studying God's will and the people around him, as well as his heart, to decide what was important to him.  I have known people for whom everything is important.  They are exhausting to be around, and sometimes end up not accomplishing anything that is really important. You really can't spend time on everything.  Some things have to fall by the wayside, and as long as those are the less important things it is OK.

Sometimes I try to make lists of things to do for the weekend, but those are substitutes for a more considered list of what to spend my time on---I don't really have a more considered set of guiding principles that would make it easier to decide what to do and what to let go.  (OK, I have two principles: keep the family clothed and fed.  But beyond that, it is a bit of a mess).  Also, not knowing what is important can lead to indecision which can lead to paralysis and (in my case) phone games or other time and energy wasters.

The second part of discipline is having some sort of system or support to get the important things done.  The truth of the matter is, I believe that willpower alone cannot get the job done, or at least not long term.  We need things like habits, check lists, schedules, systems of friends to encourage us and keep us accountable... I'm sure there are more.  I believe that the Holy Spirit can prod us and change our hearts, although I'm not sure exactly what mechanism is used.

I think we can sometimes look at disciplined people we admire and think, "Oh, they are different than we are.  I've tried really hard and I can't do it."  The disciplined people can make things look easy, but I suspect that they were hard at first.  But as you focus on what is important and achieve success, I think (hope!) that there can be a deeper joy than just spending a few minutes playing a game or crossing things that don't really matter off a list.  Another thing we might not realize about the people we admire is that they have almost certainly failed in the past.  As far as I can see, failure is something that we can expect in our lives, and the only thing to do is get up and try again.  If we haven't thought about the purpose of our lives, this is discouraging and pointless. But if we can see our lives on a trajectory  toward a larger purpose, that can help.  


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why you should study the history of math

  Why you should study the history of math In the mid 1300s a fad made its way around Italy. Mathematicians would challenge each other to “mathematical duels”. They would post problems for their opponents to solve, sometimes along with their solutions in coded poetry. The winners would get support and funding from rich patrons, the losers would descend into obscurity. One such contest, between Fiore and Tartaglia, involved a new method for solving the cubic. In order to win, Tartaglia worked day and night to find Fiore’s method---unfortunately, Fiore did not do the same and only knew his own method and no others. (*Recall that the formula for solutions to quadratic equations of the form use the quadratic formula, Giorlamo Cardano---physician, philosopher, astrologer and mathematician---convinced Tartaglia to share his method and promised never to reveal it. Then Cardano figured out a more general method, and wanted to share it, but was blocked by his promises. Fortunately (for Cardan

Southern butter mints---vegan edition

After the last post, we started to be able to see what the fuss was about.  The ones made with twice the butter were the best candy I have ever tasted.  Ever.  So then we started experimenting.  How long do you pull it?  Longer than you think.  And then pull a minute or two after that.  Suddenly every single batch was creaming, pretty much right after we would cut them. I tried adding less than double butter and I think they taste much better (more delicate, according to one taste tester). The latest experiment we did involved using Earth Balance instead of butter.  It cooked pretty much the same as usual, although I was distracted right at the moment I had to pull it off the stove so it cooked maybe a bit longer than usual.  Amanda and I each pulled a quarter, while Luke pulled the bigger half.  Luke's really wasn't turning very fast---perhaps because it was too hot when he took it off the marble.  Mine was turning faster than Amanda's so we traded for a while.  Aman

Southern Butter Mints part 1

Some friends of ours have a granddaughter getting married (and she's a friend of ours as well) and so I agreed to help out with the shower.  Apparently this is to be a "southern" shower, full of tradition and elegance, but not too far over the top. Among things that are needed for a shower are punch with great grandma's punch bowl, sandwiches with cream cheese and green pepper jelly, and southern pulled butter mints.  "Ah, nobody can make those anymore.  We used to know someone, but the tradition needs to be passed down."  Like a fool, I said that I'd be happy to give it a try.  I suffer greatly from "I got a PhD in math, how hard could X be?" where X is something like gardening, or quilting, or cleaning, etc.  It's always harder than I think it will be. "We'll call Mrs. X who makes these, maybe she'll pass down the method.  I hope you don't hate me!"  I was actually planning on doing research online, watching a fe