Skip to main content

Simplify your family life using modular arithmetic

For a long time, we had a big problem at dinner every night.  For some reason, none of the kids wanted to sit next to Michael and they all wanted to sit next to me.  Besides the fact that I don't have 3 sides, this made Michael feel unwanted (sniff!).  The problem was, when I chose someone to sit next to Michael the various people involved decided that I wasn't being fair, that I had chosen them last night, or last night but 2, and that Luke always got to sit next to me...  There was no way to decide.

I remembered from kindergarten that the teacher had a list of the students on the wall and would move a marker down to choose a "person of the day."  The kids knew when their turn was coming up by how many names were between themselves and the marker.  I didn't have the energy to make a list or to keep up with moving a marker, but then I realized that the dates of the month will keep up with themselves and I don't have to do anything.

So if the day of the month is evenly divisible by 3, Eleanor gets to be the person of the day.  If there is a remainder of 1, Amanda is, and if there is a remainder of 2, Luke is.  No problem, no arguments, and math is always right.  0mod3 means Ella, 1mod3 means Amanda and 2mod3 means Luke.

You can use modular arithmetic for other things, too.  Who chooses what to watch on TV? the person of the day.  Who has to practice first?  the person of the day.  When there are only two choices (for who went first at violin lessons, for example) we could use even/odd dates---the oldest child is always 0.  We use mod 5 when the whole family is involved in being chosen.

This system does have some problems.  When we have a 31 day month, Amanda is person of the day twice in a row.  But since there are drawbacks as well as benefits to being person of the day, it seems to work out.  Sometimes I am gone---Eleanor complained that I was always gone for her day to sit next to me!  But that works out in the end too, since my absences are truly random.

The best part is that while you can argue with your mother, you cannot argue with mathematics.  And arguments were exactly what I was trying to avoid.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why you should study the history of math

  Why you should study the history of math In the mid 1300s a fad made its way around Italy. Mathematicians would challenge each other to “mathematical duels”. They would post problems for their opponents to solve, sometimes along with their solutions in coded poetry. The winners would get support and funding from rich patrons, the losers would descend into obscurity. One such contest, between Fiore and Tartaglia, involved a new method for solving the cubic. In order to win, Tartaglia worked day and night to find Fiore’s method---unfortunately, Fiore did not do the same and only knew his own method and no others. (*Recall that the formula for solutions to quadratic equations of the form use the quadratic formula, Giorlamo Cardano---physician, philosopher, astrologer and mathematician---convinced Tartaglia to share his method and promised never to reveal it. Then Cardano figured out a more general method, and wanted to share it, but was blocked by his promises. Fortunately (for Cardan

Southern butter mints---vegan edition

After the last post, we started to be able to see what the fuss was about.  The ones made with twice the butter were the best candy I have ever tasted.  Ever.  So then we started experimenting.  How long do you pull it?  Longer than you think.  And then pull a minute or two after that.  Suddenly every single batch was creaming, pretty much right after we would cut them. I tried adding less than double butter and I think they taste much better (more delicate, according to one taste tester). The latest experiment we did involved using Earth Balance instead of butter.  It cooked pretty much the same as usual, although I was distracted right at the moment I had to pull it off the stove so it cooked maybe a bit longer than usual.  Amanda and I each pulled a quarter, while Luke pulled the bigger half.  Luke's really wasn't turning very fast---perhaps because it was too hot when he took it off the marble.  Mine was turning faster than Amanda's so we traded for a while.  Aman

Southern Butter Mints part 1

Some friends of ours have a granddaughter getting married (and she's a friend of ours as well) and so I agreed to help out with the shower.  Apparently this is to be a "southern" shower, full of tradition and elegance, but not too far over the top. Among things that are needed for a shower are punch with great grandma's punch bowl, sandwiches with cream cheese and green pepper jelly, and southern pulled butter mints.  "Ah, nobody can make those anymore.  We used to know someone, but the tradition needs to be passed down."  Like a fool, I said that I'd be happy to give it a try.  I suffer greatly from "I got a PhD in math, how hard could X be?" where X is something like gardening, or quilting, or cleaning, etc.  It's always harder than I think it will be. "We'll call Mrs. X who makes these, maybe she'll pass down the method.  I hope you don't hate me!"  I was actually planning on doing research online, watching a fe