Skip to main content

Plan B

For the kids' cousin's birthday, we planned an outing to the local swimming pool. When we got there, however, it was closed due to contamination, so we needed a plan b.

We were already in swimming suits and it was hot (well, hot for WI), so we decided to put the sprinkler on. My sister-in-law had the great idea of water balloons. We found them at the 2nd store we tried ($1 for 250). Grandma had laid in a supply of squirt guns (Grandma is always prepared). It was a great plan!

There was running through the sprinkler. There was putting water down the slide for a "water slide". The water from the hose was very very cold, but that seemed to make it more fun. After filling what seemed like hundreds (actually a few dozen) water balloons, there was a water balloon fight where no one got very wet: I recommended filling the balloons less full, and they didn't break on the people, only when they hit the ground. There were squirt gun wars.

My favorite was the bucket. The kids would fill it up and then try to throw it at each other. One problem was that the more water, the heavier it was and the harder it was to throw. Also, when you tried to throw water on someone else, when you brought the bucket back it splashed water all over you (probably more than got on the other person). I stood still to be splashed just to watch the show.

Afterward, Ella said that she had had just as much fun as at the swimming pool---I agree.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My hero, Helen Parr

Otherwise known as Elastigirl , a.k.a Mrs. Incredible. She is a stay at home mom ( SAHM ), she clearly feels that what she is doing is important and is willing to give up a lot to do it (remember her comment in the intro: "I'm at the top of my game! Leave saving the world to the guys? I don't think so.") But she is finding fulfillment in leading her family from day to day, in doing a hard job well. She also knows that she is very talented, and that knowledge helps her see beyond the repetitive drudgery of staying home. My favorite scene is from the deleted introduction, where she talks with a "career woman" who is of the opinion that staying home is fine for people who can't do anything else. She responds that taking care of her kid is at least as hard as saving the world, and is valuable contribution to society. The point for me is that someone has to do the job that I'm doing, and it's not something that you could pay someone to do. I see...

Things that are true

"Axial tilt is the reason for the season." (Picture a globe with the northern hemisphere tilted away from the sun...) I believe this is meant to be an anti-theist slogan, although I would point out that I believe there is a reason for the axial tilt. This is a runner up to my favorite true science picture, the "Gravity Forecast." I linked to this when I was a graduate student, but the site is long since down. Picture a weather forecast graphic, but instead of clouds and temperatures, the 5-day forecast predicts 9.8 m/s^2 down. Even the idea still makes me laugh, perhaps I will reproduce it someday. Luke cut his 4th tooth today (Finally!). So far they haven't caused us too much trouble. We'll see what happens when he gets his canines.

Why the world is frustrating

It is very frustrating to be 2. Michael and I have been teaching Luke about closing doors and turning off lights---both good habits. He really enjoys opening the refrigerator door. He knows how to turn out the light. But when I try to get him to shut the refrigerator door, he screams, "Turn out the light!" He keeps getting in the way of the door so that he can push the little button. As far as I know, he's trying to turn off the light before we shut the door, and the fact that it keeps coming back on when we move him out of the way so we can shut the door drives him crazy. He doesn't believe us that the light goes out when the door is shut, and after all, how do we know ourselves? We've never seen it, we use logic. But this makes any attempt to shut the door a battle, unless I sneak over there without him seeing.