Skip to main content

Putting Amanda to sleep

I've gotten to put Amanda to sleep quite a lot lately while Michael gets Luke into his crib. Here's what we do:
  • We have a written "check list" of things to do to put Amanda to sleep. She's starting to be able to read, and it is great to ask her what comes next on the list instead of having me continually nag her about it. The list also helps when Michael is putting Amanda to bed. It involves things like putting on heavy duty lotion (Theraplex emollient, for those who are interested), brushing teeth and hair, finding clothes for the next day, and so on.
  • We go through the check list while Luke is having stories read to him "In Mana's oom!" I guess stories are more fun in your sister's room, I don't know. This means that I usually don't read stories separately to Amanda anymore.
  • After Luke goes off to bed and we have finished our list, we get into bed to "play fairies." This is something special for Mama, since Daddy flatly refuses. Amanda has a number of special friends---two sheep, an eagle ray, a few fairies, maybe a car or two, and the ever present "butterflies" (Amanda's hands). Amanda has a script, and I get chewed out when I make a mistake.
  • At 7:50 or so (it depends on when we start---I really can't play more than about 10 minutes of fairies at a time) I tell her to put away the fairies. I pray, then I sing "Jesus Loves Me."
  • Then Amanda gives me kisses. It started out as one or two, which I had to reciprocate. Then we needed "one for good luck." Then it grew to be up to 20 kisses. Then she needed to give me "one for being her favorite Mama." This was a very effective way of stalling going to bed, because who would cut their daughter off in the middle of kisses? Thankfully, it is back down to one, with one hug and "one for gooooood luck!"
If I'm lucky I get to leave the room at this point. If she's lucky, she stalls for another minute or two. And then I leave and she goes to sleep, after getting up a few more times for water, finding more fairy friends, and seeing what her sister is up to. And then she goes to sleep and wakes up in the morning!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why you should study the history of math

  Why you should study the history of math In the mid 1300s a fad made its way around Italy. Mathematicians would challenge each other to “mathematical duels”. They would post problems for their opponents to solve, sometimes along with their solutions in coded poetry. The winners would get support and funding from rich patrons, the losers would descend into obscurity. One such contest, between Fiore and Tartaglia, involved a new method for solving the cubic. In order to win, Tartaglia worked day and night to find Fiore’s method---unfortunately, Fiore did not do the same and only knew his own method and no others. (*Recall that the formula for solutions to quadratic equations of the form use the quadratic formula, Giorlamo Cardano---physician, philosopher, astrologer and mathematician---convinced Tartaglia to share his method and promised never to reveal it. Then Cardano figured out a more general method, and wanted to share it, but was blocked by his promises. Fortunately (for Cardan

Southern butter mints---vegan edition

After the last post, we started to be able to see what the fuss was about.  The ones made with twice the butter were the best candy I have ever tasted.  Ever.  So then we started experimenting.  How long do you pull it?  Longer than you think.  And then pull a minute or two after that.  Suddenly every single batch was creaming, pretty much right after we would cut them. I tried adding less than double butter and I think they taste much better (more delicate, according to one taste tester). The latest experiment we did involved using Earth Balance instead of butter.  It cooked pretty much the same as usual, although I was distracted right at the moment I had to pull it off the stove so it cooked maybe a bit longer than usual.  Amanda and I each pulled a quarter, while Luke pulled the bigger half.  Luke's really wasn't turning very fast---perhaps because it was too hot when he took it off the marble.  Mine was turning faster than Amanda's so we traded for a while.  Aman

Southern Butter Mints part 1

Some friends of ours have a granddaughter getting married (and she's a friend of ours as well) and so I agreed to help out with the shower.  Apparently this is to be a "southern" shower, full of tradition and elegance, but not too far over the top. Among things that are needed for a shower are punch with great grandma's punch bowl, sandwiches with cream cheese and green pepper jelly, and southern pulled butter mints.  "Ah, nobody can make those anymore.  We used to know someone, but the tradition needs to be passed down."  Like a fool, I said that I'd be happy to give it a try.  I suffer greatly from "I got a PhD in math, how hard could X be?" where X is something like gardening, or quilting, or cleaning, etc.  It's always harder than I think it will be. "We'll call Mrs. X who makes these, maybe she'll pass down the method.  I hope you don't hate me!"  I was actually planning on doing research online, watching a fe