Skip to main content

Splitting Pea Soup

For Michael's birthday, I decided to make split pea soup, one of his favorites. The kids hate it, but they were willing to sacrifice to please their Daddy.

I knew that I could only ask so much of them. To Eleanor, I gave a bowl with only peas in it---no noticeable carrots or ham. To Amanda I gave a bowl with a minimum of peas, and lots of carrots. Luke got more soup than his sisters combined, but I added an ice cube.

Eleanor proceeded to take every last small piece of onion, ham, parsley and carrot out of her broth and put it on her plate. She then ate all the peas and 6 cold carrots. What was most amazing was her restraint in talking about it. She even managed a "yummy!" to encourage her brother to eat the soup---she's starting to realize that she can think what she wants, but if she makes gross noises and complains at the table, encouraging her brother to imitate, her mother will be unhappy. She then cleared her dish, without being prompted. Her circumspect behavior may have had to do with the strawberry pie I had made for dessert.

Amanda took one bite of soup, made a face and a noise, and changed tactics. She put the carrots on her plate, carried them one by one to the bathroom sink, where she washed off the pea soup. Then she carried them back to the table and ate them happily, with a fork. She also ate two biscuits. (She didn't get any pie, but that was for another infraction, unrelated to soup.)

At first Luke refused the soup, but I think he was hungry since he didn't eat lunch. Luke saw his sisters spooning their soup out of the bowl, and decided to do the same. He would spoon a few lumps out onto his plate---as the soup cools, it gets thick enough not to make a mess---and then eat it from the plate. He repeated this until all the soup was gone. He ate a large biscuit, and then went over to the cooling rack and tried to grab two more. (He also didn't get pie, but that was because he had been up since 5:40 with only a 10 minute nap.)

Sorry, Michael, but I think I won't be having split pea soup for dinner again for a while---unless you want to make it.

Comments

C. L. Hanson said…
I love split-pea soup! But I guess it's not a favorite with kids...
mathmom said…
Hi Chanson! I like it too. I think the way it looks is just too much for Amanda and Eleanor, not so much how it tastes. But I could be wrong. As I used to explain to my parents, kids just have more and better tastebuds than adults.

Popular posts from this blog

Why you should study the history of math

  Why you should study the history of math In the mid 1300s a fad made its way around Italy. Mathematicians would challenge each other to “mathematical duels”. They would post problems for their opponents to solve, sometimes along with their solutions in coded poetry. The winners would get support and funding from rich patrons, the losers would descend into obscurity. One such contest, between Fiore and Tartaglia, involved a new method for solving the cubic. In order to win, Tartaglia worked day and night to find Fiore’s method---unfortunately, Fiore did not do the same and only knew his own method and no others. (*Recall that the formula for solutions to quadratic equations of the form use the quadratic formula, Giorlamo Cardano---physician, philosopher, astrologer and mathematician---convinced Tartaglia to share his method and promised never to reveal it. Then Cardano figured out a more general method, and wanted to share it, but was blocked by his promises. Fortunately (for Cardan

Southern butter mints---vegan edition

After the last post, we started to be able to see what the fuss was about.  The ones made with twice the butter were the best candy I have ever tasted.  Ever.  So then we started experimenting.  How long do you pull it?  Longer than you think.  And then pull a minute or two after that.  Suddenly every single batch was creaming, pretty much right after we would cut them. I tried adding less than double butter and I think they taste much better (more delicate, according to one taste tester). The latest experiment we did involved using Earth Balance instead of butter.  It cooked pretty much the same as usual, although I was distracted right at the moment I had to pull it off the stove so it cooked maybe a bit longer than usual.  Amanda and I each pulled a quarter, while Luke pulled the bigger half.  Luke's really wasn't turning very fast---perhaps because it was too hot when he took it off the marble.  Mine was turning faster than Amanda's so we traded for a while.  Aman

Southern Butter Mints part 1

Some friends of ours have a granddaughter getting married (and she's a friend of ours as well) and so I agreed to help out with the shower.  Apparently this is to be a "southern" shower, full of tradition and elegance, but not too far over the top. Among things that are needed for a shower are punch with great grandma's punch bowl, sandwiches with cream cheese and green pepper jelly, and southern pulled butter mints.  "Ah, nobody can make those anymore.  We used to know someone, but the tradition needs to be passed down."  Like a fool, I said that I'd be happy to give it a try.  I suffer greatly from "I got a PhD in math, how hard could X be?" where X is something like gardening, or quilting, or cleaning, etc.  It's always harder than I think it will be. "We'll call Mrs. X who makes these, maybe she'll pass down the method.  I hope you don't hate me!"  I was actually planning on doing research online, watching a fe