Skip to main content

Toys

Luke has found a variety of toys to play with at his grandparent's house. They include:
  • A bucket of sand, a bucket of compost, and some plastic pots that flowers came in.
  • Two ice cream pails, one of which is filled with clothespins. He keeps biting on the open end of the clothespin and pinching his fingers.
  • The wood burning stove in the family room, which has lots of levers and knobs and is fun to bang on.
  • Folding picture frames, which both have pictures of family in them and are fun to open and close.
The girls had a good time swinging on two swings hung from the clothesline: it's a very complex system, where the girls influence each other's swings and how high they are off the ground and how they bounce up and down. They had a great time... until the clothesline broke.

Eleanor is reading. She's moved on from the Magic Treehouse books to the reference guides. Right now she's reading The Voyages of Dr. Doolittle, which has the advantage of being long enough that she doesn't breeze through it in one day.

Amanda got to ride in the Burly, a wagon pulled behind her grandparents' tandem bicycle. She was the only one of the children who would have sat still for long enough to enjoy the 45 minute ride.

Mama got to stain the deck while everyone else went to the swimming pool. It was lovely! Today I get to do the laundry... I'll do other things as well, but it is nice just going through the day without being the only person that the children can ask for attention.

This of course ignores the best toys, which are the grandparents themselves. We're all having a good time.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My hero, Helen Parr

Otherwise known as Elastigirl , a.k.a Mrs. Incredible. She is a stay at home mom ( SAHM ), she clearly feels that what she is doing is important and is willing to give up a lot to do it (remember her comment in the intro: "I'm at the top of my game! Leave saving the world to the guys? I don't think so.") But she is finding fulfillment in leading her family from day to day, in doing a hard job well. She also knows that she is very talented, and that knowledge helps her see beyond the repetitive drudgery of staying home. My favorite scene is from the deleted introduction, where she talks with a "career woman" who is of the opinion that staying home is fine for people who can't do anything else. She responds that taking care of her kid is at least as hard as saving the world, and is valuable contribution to society. The point for me is that someone has to do the job that I'm doing, and it's not something that you could pay someone to do. I see...

Things that are true

"Axial tilt is the reason for the season." (Picture a globe with the northern hemisphere tilted away from the sun...) I believe this is meant to be an anti-theist slogan, although I would point out that I believe there is a reason for the axial tilt. This is a runner up to my favorite true science picture, the "Gravity Forecast." I linked to this when I was a graduate student, but the site is long since down. Picture a weather forecast graphic, but instead of clouds and temperatures, the 5-day forecast predicts 9.8 m/s^2 down. Even the idea still makes me laugh, perhaps I will reproduce it someday. Luke cut his 4th tooth today (Finally!). So far they haven't caused us too much trouble. We'll see what happens when he gets his canines.

Why the world is frustrating

It is very frustrating to be 2. Michael and I have been teaching Luke about closing doors and turning off lights---both good habits. He really enjoys opening the refrigerator door. He knows how to turn out the light. But when I try to get him to shut the refrigerator door, he screams, "Turn out the light!" He keeps getting in the way of the door so that he can push the little button. As far as I know, he's trying to turn off the light before we shut the door, and the fact that it keeps coming back on when we move him out of the way so we can shut the door drives him crazy. He doesn't believe us that the light goes out when the door is shut, and after all, how do we know ourselves? We've never seen it, we use logic. But this makes any attempt to shut the door a battle, unless I sneak over there without him seeing.