Skip to main content

The great midwestern peregrination

We've started our annual midwestern trip to see family and friends. On the one hand, it is useful to have all our family in one area of the country, on the other hand, it means that we inevitably miss seeing people, which is sad.

Yesterday we woke up at 4:30 or so eastern to try to leave the house by 5 and the airport by 6. We did pretty well, leaving the house at about 5:20 and getting the plane all loaded by about 6:30... but there was a problem. Because of all the wonderful rain we've had recently, there was a lot of fog. At about 6 we could have taken off. By 6:30, however, the fog had come in and there was no chance of taking off until it lifted.

So we took a walk, used the restroom, ran around in anticipation of 7 hours in a cramped airplane, and we took off at about 7:15. The problem with taking off so late is that the afternoon thunderstorms started to form by the time we got to the midwest. This meant that instead of flying for 3.5 hours in the airplane, we flew more than 5 hours (in order to avoid the storms), my longest flight with the kids ever. The second half of the flight was just over 2 hours, much more reasonable.

There are many advantages to taking a small plane on a family trip instead of a commercial one. We can change our plans and leave when we want. No one but Luke is bothered when Amanda starts pushing all our feet out of the way and screaming that she can't find Thomas' tender. On the other hand, it is a small space, and our kids are active. It basically means I am touching and trying to help children stay in equilibrium for 7 hours, which is exhausting. It also means that we are more subject to winds and weather, which is occasionally good (adding 50 miles an hour to our groundspeed) but mostly bad (taking that amount away from our speed really slows down the trip).

The kids did remarkably well for having woken up at 5 am. They stayed up a bit later than their usual bedtimes, but not the full hour that was involved in the time change. The problem came this morning when Amanda woke up at her usual 5:20 (this is when she usually wakes up if she has stayed up past her bedtime). The problem: it was 5:20 eastern time, 4:20 central time. I think she gets a nap today, whether she wants one or not.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My hero, Helen Parr

Otherwise known as Elastigirl , a.k.a Mrs. Incredible. She is a stay at home mom ( SAHM ), she clearly feels that what she is doing is important and is willing to give up a lot to do it (remember her comment in the intro: "I'm at the top of my game! Leave saving the world to the guys? I don't think so.") But she is finding fulfillment in leading her family from day to day, in doing a hard job well. She also knows that she is very talented, and that knowledge helps her see beyond the repetitive drudgery of staying home. My favorite scene is from the deleted introduction, where she talks with a "career woman" who is of the opinion that staying home is fine for people who can't do anything else. She responds that taking care of her kid is at least as hard as saving the world, and is valuable contribution to society. The point for me is that someone has to do the job that I'm doing, and it's not something that you could pay someone to do. I see...

Things that are true

"Axial tilt is the reason for the season." (Picture a globe with the northern hemisphere tilted away from the sun...) I believe this is meant to be an anti-theist slogan, although I would point out that I believe there is a reason for the axial tilt. This is a runner up to my favorite true science picture, the "Gravity Forecast." I linked to this when I was a graduate student, but the site is long since down. Picture a weather forecast graphic, but instead of clouds and temperatures, the 5-day forecast predicts 9.8 m/s^2 down. Even the idea still makes me laugh, perhaps I will reproduce it someday. Luke cut his 4th tooth today (Finally!). So far they haven't caused us too much trouble. We'll see what happens when he gets his canines.

Why the world is frustrating

It is very frustrating to be 2. Michael and I have been teaching Luke about closing doors and turning off lights---both good habits. He really enjoys opening the refrigerator door. He knows how to turn out the light. But when I try to get him to shut the refrigerator door, he screams, "Turn out the light!" He keeps getting in the way of the door so that he can push the little button. As far as I know, he's trying to turn off the light before we shut the door, and the fact that it keeps coming back on when we move him out of the way so we can shut the door drives him crazy. He doesn't believe us that the light goes out when the door is shut, and after all, how do we know ourselves? We've never seen it, we use logic. But this makes any attempt to shut the door a battle, unless I sneak over there without him seeing.