Skip to main content

Someone get this woman a clue!

Luke climbed up onto the table, grabbed his sister's cup (a real cup, since I'm interested in getting Amanda off the sippee cup before she's 5), climbed down carefully, and dumped it all over the floor. He then started laughing and splashing in the juice.

At the bottom of the stairs that lead toward the kitchen, there is a "knee wall", i.e., you can look right from the stairs into the kitchen towards the sink. I have always kept the dishsoap, sponges, silverware basket between the sink and the wall. Now Luke climbs up 4 steps, gets on his tip toes, leans way over the 3rd step to grab things from behind the sink (he is now standing on one tip toe on the 4th step and holding onto the top of the ledge), then pulls himself back onto the 4th step so he can stand up again, with whatever he managed to grab. Today he grabbed the dish soap. Since he can't flip the top open, he unscrewed it. He tried to drink it, and then dumped it on the stairs. I now have one very clean step...

He climbed up onto his sister's chair, reached half way across the table to grab my dish of meatballs (well, the meatballs were gone, but the sauce was still there). He turned it upside down on his sister's plate, and then started crying because he couldn't grab it and turn it rightside up. I was thankful for surface tension and uncoordinated fingers.

Please tell me, when do I learn? =) Perhaps if I haven't by now, I never will.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Maybe it will take you as many times to learn this as it takes our children to learn to not run/use indoor voices/eat nicely at the table/etc. I hope not, though =)

FNDP

Popular posts from this blog

My hero, Helen Parr

Otherwise known as Elastigirl , a.k.a Mrs. Incredible. She is a stay at home mom ( SAHM ), she clearly feels that what she is doing is important and is willing to give up a lot to do it (remember her comment in the intro: "I'm at the top of my game! Leave saving the world to the guys? I don't think so.") But she is finding fulfillment in leading her family from day to day, in doing a hard job well. She also knows that she is very talented, and that knowledge helps her see beyond the repetitive drudgery of staying home. My favorite scene is from the deleted introduction, where she talks with a "career woman" who is of the opinion that staying home is fine for people who can't do anything else. She responds that taking care of her kid is at least as hard as saving the world, and is valuable contribution to society. The point for me is that someone has to do the job that I'm doing, and it's not something that you could pay someone to do. I see...

Things that are true

"Axial tilt is the reason for the season." (Picture a globe with the northern hemisphere tilted away from the sun...) I believe this is meant to be an anti-theist slogan, although I would point out that I believe there is a reason for the axial tilt. This is a runner up to my favorite true science picture, the "Gravity Forecast." I linked to this when I was a graduate student, but the site is long since down. Picture a weather forecast graphic, but instead of clouds and temperatures, the 5-day forecast predicts 9.8 m/s^2 down. Even the idea still makes me laugh, perhaps I will reproduce it someday. Luke cut his 4th tooth today (Finally!). So far they haven't caused us too much trouble. We'll see what happens when he gets his canines.

Why the world is frustrating

It is very frustrating to be 2. Michael and I have been teaching Luke about closing doors and turning off lights---both good habits. He really enjoys opening the refrigerator door. He knows how to turn out the light. But when I try to get him to shut the refrigerator door, he screams, "Turn out the light!" He keeps getting in the way of the door so that he can push the little button. As far as I know, he's trying to turn off the light before we shut the door, and the fact that it keeps coming back on when we move him out of the way so we can shut the door drives him crazy. He doesn't believe us that the light goes out when the door is shut, and after all, how do we know ourselves? We've never seen it, we use logic. But this makes any attempt to shut the door a battle, unless I sneak over there without him seeing.