Skip to main content
Here I have a blog specifically for updating people about Luke's development, and I can't even manage to do that---two days ago, Luke started pulling himself up on things to stand.

We lowered his crib (again). So far his favorite thing to stand up with is me: he'll climb up my feet while I'm kneeling and pull himself up on my back. His major trouble with all of this is that he thinks he can walk, so after pulling himself up on something he'll turn away to start walking and fall down. Poor baby!

Perhaps I can say that I'm so busy chasing Luke and rescuing him from falls that I don't have time to write. Yeah, that's it =)

Comments

David Christian said…
Hey mathmom, 31 entries in 4 months isn't bad at all! And it's a joy to read, though not as much fun as seeing you all in person. Luke will be glad to know of everything that was going on while he grew up too I think. That too is a gift you can give him.
mathmom said…
Hi David---

I suppose so. And it is definitely working better for me than any baby book would. Also, we already have more stories here than I have written down from my parents =) (well, maybe not quite yet, I have a whole baby book with data in it and a few stories)

I'm really glad you like it. For Eleanor, we sent around mass emails of her daily journal (which ended up mostly being about sleep). This is definitely better.
Anonymous said…
I like the blog too! My favorite diversion from work (except I study kids, so maybe this IS work...).

Steph

Popular posts from this blog

My hero, Helen Parr

Otherwise known as Elastigirl , a.k.a Mrs. Incredible. She is a stay at home mom ( SAHM ), she clearly feels that what she is doing is important and is willing to give up a lot to do it (remember her comment in the intro: "I'm at the top of my game! Leave saving the world to the guys? I don't think so.") But she is finding fulfillment in leading her family from day to day, in doing a hard job well. She also knows that she is very talented, and that knowledge helps her see beyond the repetitive drudgery of staying home. My favorite scene is from the deleted introduction, where she talks with a "career woman" who is of the opinion that staying home is fine for people who can't do anything else. She responds that taking care of her kid is at least as hard as saving the world, and is valuable contribution to society. The point for me is that someone has to do the job that I'm doing, and it's not something that you could pay someone to do. I see...

Things that are true

"Axial tilt is the reason for the season." (Picture a globe with the northern hemisphere tilted away from the sun...) I believe this is meant to be an anti-theist slogan, although I would point out that I believe there is a reason for the axial tilt. This is a runner up to my favorite true science picture, the "Gravity Forecast." I linked to this when I was a graduate student, but the site is long since down. Picture a weather forecast graphic, but instead of clouds and temperatures, the 5-day forecast predicts 9.8 m/s^2 down. Even the idea still makes me laugh, perhaps I will reproduce it someday. Luke cut his 4th tooth today (Finally!). So far they haven't caused us too much trouble. We'll see what happens when he gets his canines.

Why the world is frustrating

It is very frustrating to be 2. Michael and I have been teaching Luke about closing doors and turning off lights---both good habits. He really enjoys opening the refrigerator door. He knows how to turn out the light. But when I try to get him to shut the refrigerator door, he screams, "Turn out the light!" He keeps getting in the way of the door so that he can push the little button. As far as I know, he's trying to turn off the light before we shut the door, and the fact that it keeps coming back on when we move him out of the way so we can shut the door drives him crazy. He doesn't believe us that the light goes out when the door is shut, and after all, how do we know ourselves? We've never seen it, we use logic. But this makes any attempt to shut the door a battle, unless I sneak over there without him seeing.