Skip to main content

25 things that make me smile

I saw this on another blog, and I really just need to write something. I've been composing all sorts of deep articles for the blog, but in fact I will never write them, so getting anything on paper (screen) is better than nothing. These are in no particular order:

1) 6 preschoolers trying to do jumping jacks at gymnastics
2) preschoolers playing duck duck goose (or grayduck, depending on where you grew up)
3) Luke eating strained peas with his fingers
4) Eleanor climbing the door frame
5) waking up because I'm not sleepy anymore, instead of because a child wakes me up
6) Amanda talking to her hands
7) How many dull people does it take to change a lightbulb? One.
8) Singing at church
9) a clean kitchen or a folded basket of laundry
10) When Eleanor or Amanda say something to me that I say to them all the time (
11) Talking on the phone with my friends
....wow, this is getting harder...
12) When Michael gets really excited about something at work
13) Kim Possible
14) Amanda or Eleanor making Luke laugh
15) a warm bath with a good book
16) playing bridge or 500
17) norwegian pancakes
18) chocolate
19) watching the fish
20) sitting in a coffee shop with no place I need to go
21) finishing a quilt or embroidery
22) having Michael tuck me into bed when I'm sick
23) getting over being sick
24) breastfeeding
25) reading a really good book

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My hero, Helen Parr

Otherwise known as Elastigirl , a.k.a Mrs. Incredible. She is a stay at home mom ( SAHM ), she clearly feels that what she is doing is important and is willing to give up a lot to do it (remember her comment in the intro: "I'm at the top of my game! Leave saving the world to the guys? I don't think so.") But she is finding fulfillment in leading her family from day to day, in doing a hard job well. She also knows that she is very talented, and that knowledge helps her see beyond the repetitive drudgery of staying home. My favorite scene is from the deleted introduction, where she talks with a "career woman" who is of the opinion that staying home is fine for people who can't do anything else. She responds that taking care of her kid is at least as hard as saving the world, and is valuable contribution to society. The point for me is that someone has to do the job that I'm doing, and it's not something that you could pay someone to do. I see...

Things that are true

"Axial tilt is the reason for the season." (Picture a globe with the northern hemisphere tilted away from the sun...) I believe this is meant to be an anti-theist slogan, although I would point out that I believe there is a reason for the axial tilt. This is a runner up to my favorite true science picture, the "Gravity Forecast." I linked to this when I was a graduate student, but the site is long since down. Picture a weather forecast graphic, but instead of clouds and temperatures, the 5-day forecast predicts 9.8 m/s^2 down. Even the idea still makes me laugh, perhaps I will reproduce it someday. Luke cut his 4th tooth today (Finally!). So far they haven't caused us too much trouble. We'll see what happens when he gets his canines.

Why the world is frustrating

It is very frustrating to be 2. Michael and I have been teaching Luke about closing doors and turning off lights---both good habits. He really enjoys opening the refrigerator door. He knows how to turn out the light. But when I try to get him to shut the refrigerator door, he screams, "Turn out the light!" He keeps getting in the way of the door so that he can push the little button. As far as I know, he's trying to turn off the light before we shut the door, and the fact that it keeps coming back on when we move him out of the way so we can shut the door drives him crazy. He doesn't believe us that the light goes out when the door is shut, and after all, how do we know ourselves? We've never seen it, we use logic. But this makes any attempt to shut the door a battle, unless I sneak over there without him seeing.