Skip to main content

Development

Well, Luke is really crawling now, and to celebrate he is sleeping much better. I have read that children will have trouble sleeping while they are working on a new skill (crawling, standing, walking, talking, etc.) but I've never seen the association so clearly. (I do realize that by saying that Luke is sleeping better I am almost guaranteed that he won't sleep well tonight.) It's as though he was working on a project or something, and now he's relieved that he doesn't have to worry about it anymore.

His new found mobility is causing another developmental milestone: separation anxiety. This morning at church he would be happy without me for a few minutes, but then he'd get anxious and start crying. When I picked him up he would sort of collapse into my arms and be very cuddly for a minute or two, just to know that I was there, and then be off crawling around again. He definitely wanted to know that I was around---turning away from him while he is looking at me can cause him great grief.

It has also become almost impossible to hold him while we are out at a restaurant eating dinner. I guess we'll have to wait until he develops his pincer grip (which he's working on on the food his sisters drop under the kitchen table) so that he'll be able to amuse himself with some cheerios.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My hero, Helen Parr

Otherwise known as Elastigirl , a.k.a Mrs. Incredible. She is a stay at home mom ( SAHM ), she clearly feels that what she is doing is important and is willing to give up a lot to do it (remember her comment in the intro: "I'm at the top of my game! Leave saving the world to the guys? I don't think so.") But she is finding fulfillment in leading her family from day to day, in doing a hard job well. She also knows that she is very talented, and that knowledge helps her see beyond the repetitive drudgery of staying home. My favorite scene is from the deleted introduction, where she talks with a "career woman" who is of the opinion that staying home is fine for people who can't do anything else. She responds that taking care of her kid is at least as hard as saving the world, and is valuable contribution to society. The point for me is that someone has to do the job that I'm doing, and it's not something that you could pay someone to do. I see...

Things that are true

"Axial tilt is the reason for the season." (Picture a globe with the northern hemisphere tilted away from the sun...) I believe this is meant to be an anti-theist slogan, although I would point out that I believe there is a reason for the axial tilt. This is a runner up to my favorite true science picture, the "Gravity Forecast." I linked to this when I was a graduate student, but the site is long since down. Picture a weather forecast graphic, but instead of clouds and temperatures, the 5-day forecast predicts 9.8 m/s^2 down. Even the idea still makes me laugh, perhaps I will reproduce it someday. Luke cut his 4th tooth today (Finally!). So far they haven't caused us too much trouble. We'll see what happens when he gets his canines.

Why the world is frustrating

It is very frustrating to be 2. Michael and I have been teaching Luke about closing doors and turning off lights---both good habits. He really enjoys opening the refrigerator door. He knows how to turn out the light. But when I try to get him to shut the refrigerator door, he screams, "Turn out the light!" He keeps getting in the way of the door so that he can push the little button. As far as I know, he's trying to turn off the light before we shut the door, and the fact that it keeps coming back on when we move him out of the way so we can shut the door drives him crazy. He doesn't believe us that the light goes out when the door is shut, and after all, how do we know ourselves? We've never seen it, we use logic. But this makes any attempt to shut the door a battle, unless I sneak over there without him seeing.