Skip to main content

Pierce

Eleanor now has had one of her ears pierced 3 times.  But it's not what you think!

I got my ears pierced at Southdale Mall when I was 12.  My grandma and mom went with me.  It was quite the occasion, a sort of coming-of-age ritual.  So when Eleanor turned 12 I offered to let her get her ears pierced too.  She declined.  It was made more complicated by the fact that Michael insisted that she get it done at the doctors office---I didn't even believe they did ear piercings, but apparently that is a service they offer.

Starting this spring Eleanor decided she wanted to get her ears pierced, so we went in a few weeks ago to get them done. When we got home we noticed that the back of one of the earrings was dipping low behind her ear so it was visible in the front.  Michael said, "Call the doctor" and they told us to take it out and wait 2 weeks.  It was hard to get out! But we did, and the hole healed up nicely.

Then we went in yesterday to get it re-pierced.  The same nurse came in (I wonder if she does all the piercings?) and got everything ready.  She said that the reason to get it re-pierced was not only appearance, but also that it might tear more easily as Eleanor got older.  Made me glad we had done something about it early.

We had forgotten our stud, but fortunately they had some extras. The nurse lined everything up, pierced her ear---and again, you could see that it was crooked.

I think Eleanor must just have interestingly shaped ears, because the nurse lined everything up carefully.  But despite some initial fear ("I have to wait 2 more weeks!") the nurse just took the stud out and re-pierced, this time taking into account Eleanor's particular ear shape.

I'm glad she got it done.  She was very brave---she's come a long way from when she'd hide under the exam table when the nurse wanted to give her a shot, or when it took 2 nurses to hold her down.  We will have to see if Amanda wants to get hers done when she's 12---I'm thinking yes, but who knows?  Only Amanda.

When Eleanor is older she's welcome to get more piercings (although I will continue to recommend no lip, tongue or nose piercings...).  But she already has experience with multiple piercings, even if it doesn't show.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My hero, Helen Parr

Otherwise known as Elastigirl , a.k.a Mrs. Incredible. She is a stay at home mom ( SAHM ), she clearly feels that what she is doing is important and is willing to give up a lot to do it (remember her comment in the intro: "I'm at the top of my game! Leave saving the world to the guys? I don't think so.") But she is finding fulfillment in leading her family from day to day, in doing a hard job well. She also knows that she is very talented, and that knowledge helps her see beyond the repetitive drudgery of staying home. My favorite scene is from the deleted introduction, where she talks with a "career woman" who is of the opinion that staying home is fine for people who can't do anything else. She responds that taking care of her kid is at least as hard as saving the world, and is valuable contribution to society. The point for me is that someone has to do the job that I'm doing, and it's not something that you could pay someone to do. I see...

Things that are true

"Axial tilt is the reason for the season." (Picture a globe with the northern hemisphere tilted away from the sun...) I believe this is meant to be an anti-theist slogan, although I would point out that I believe there is a reason for the axial tilt. This is a runner up to my favorite true science picture, the "Gravity Forecast." I linked to this when I was a graduate student, but the site is long since down. Picture a weather forecast graphic, but instead of clouds and temperatures, the 5-day forecast predicts 9.8 m/s^2 down. Even the idea still makes me laugh, perhaps I will reproduce it someday. Luke cut his 4th tooth today (Finally!). So far they haven't caused us too much trouble. We'll see what happens when he gets his canines.

Why the world is frustrating

It is very frustrating to be 2. Michael and I have been teaching Luke about closing doors and turning off lights---both good habits. He really enjoys opening the refrigerator door. He knows how to turn out the light. But when I try to get him to shut the refrigerator door, he screams, "Turn out the light!" He keeps getting in the way of the door so that he can push the little button. As far as I know, he's trying to turn off the light before we shut the door, and the fact that it keeps coming back on when we move him out of the way so we can shut the door drives him crazy. He doesn't believe us that the light goes out when the door is shut, and after all, how do we know ourselves? We've never seen it, we use logic. But this makes any attempt to shut the door a battle, unless I sneak over there without him seeing.