Skip to main content

Waffling

A long time ago in a town not so far away, Michael and I got our first waffle iron.  As I recall it was a wedding present from our friend Jon, or maybe a Christmas present.  But, since it was a piece of equipment like our fondue pot (from a cousin) and a sandwich maker (no idea) it mostly languished in the appliance garage above the refrigerator.

Later on we occasionally made waffles the old fashioned way from the Better Homes and Gardens cookbook: milk, flour, beaten egg whites, milk, 1/2 cup oil.  They were good, but a pain (getting out the mixer to beat the egg whites? cleaning the waffle iron?).  We made them enough so that the first waffle iron fell apart and we bought another one (a Belgian style one, which was OK, but I preferred the square one).

Fast forward a few years.  We have always had "breakfast for dinner," in fact, we did it so regularly that one time one of my kids told me, "Did you know that some people have PANCAKES for BREAKFAST?!?"  When Amanda couldn't eat wheat we ate a delicious gluten free mix from Arrowhead Mills.  After a while, I wanted more interesting dinners, so we started making waffles as well.  We have freshly ground whole wheat flour (it makes such a big difference) and the kids were big enough to assist with beating the eggs and mixing things together.

We had a few problems, though.  For one, the waffle irons had been contaminated through the years with egg and dairy, and I didn't really believe that we could get enough off to make them safe for Amanda.  For another, one of the waffle irons didn't keep an even temperature and the other was falling to pieces.  For yet another problem, making waffles for 5 people with one waffle iron is slow and laborious.

So when Michael found a double waffle iron on sale at BJs, he bought it.  Although I was immediately skeptical (it looked humongous!  where would we put it?) we cleared out room.  After making waffles for dinner a few times we started freezing the extras for breakfast, and then we started making entire batches to freeze for breakfast.

I love this.  The waffles are vegan (see this recipe, Best Vegan Waffles Ever) and so don't have the protein from eggs.  They do have whole wheat flour, soy milk, and almost no sugar.  The best part is that I am no longer responsible for making sure the kids actually eat breakfast.  They come downstairs, go eagerly to the freezer, get out their own waffle (and maybe one for their sibling) and toast it up, lightly for Luke and darkly for Amanda. 

We do have to make a new batch of waffles every few days, though.  Last night when the kids mentioned to Michael and me that we needed new waffles, I said jokingly, "Well, you'll have to help clean up the kitchen so we can make them."  "Okay!" they responded immediately, and with enthusiasm.  And they did help, although they needed to be reminded to not get distracted a few times.  The kitchen got clean and the waffles got made.  Once when I was very busy but we needed waffles Amanda cooked them by herself.  Any time the kids get invested in their own upkeep works for me.

If someone had mentioned the idea of freezing waffles for breakfast to me a few years ago, I would have thought that that might work well for Martha Stewart, but not for real people.  What a lot of work, I would have thought.  It just goes to show, you never know what ideas will work for you at what time.  When we were married, a waffle iron was too much work.  Now, it makes lots of other things easier.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My hero, Helen Parr

Otherwise known as Elastigirl , a.k.a Mrs. Incredible. She is a stay at home mom ( SAHM ), she clearly feels that what she is doing is important and is willing to give up a lot to do it (remember her comment in the intro: "I'm at the top of my game! Leave saving the world to the guys? I don't think so.") But she is finding fulfillment in leading her family from day to day, in doing a hard job well. She also knows that she is very talented, and that knowledge helps her see beyond the repetitive drudgery of staying home. My favorite scene is from the deleted introduction, where she talks with a "career woman" who is of the opinion that staying home is fine for people who can't do anything else. She responds that taking care of her kid is at least as hard as saving the world, and is valuable contribution to society. The point for me is that someone has to do the job that I'm doing, and it's not something that you could pay someone to do. I see...

Things that are true

"Axial tilt is the reason for the season." (Picture a globe with the northern hemisphere tilted away from the sun...) I believe this is meant to be an anti-theist slogan, although I would point out that I believe there is a reason for the axial tilt. This is a runner up to my favorite true science picture, the "Gravity Forecast." I linked to this when I was a graduate student, but the site is long since down. Picture a weather forecast graphic, but instead of clouds and temperatures, the 5-day forecast predicts 9.8 m/s^2 down. Even the idea still makes me laugh, perhaps I will reproduce it someday. Luke cut his 4th tooth today (Finally!). So far they haven't caused us too much trouble. We'll see what happens when he gets his canines.

Why the world is frustrating

It is very frustrating to be 2. Michael and I have been teaching Luke about closing doors and turning off lights---both good habits. He really enjoys opening the refrigerator door. He knows how to turn out the light. But when I try to get him to shut the refrigerator door, he screams, "Turn out the light!" He keeps getting in the way of the door so that he can push the little button. As far as I know, he's trying to turn off the light before we shut the door, and the fact that it keeps coming back on when we move him out of the way so we can shut the door drives him crazy. He doesn't believe us that the light goes out when the door is shut, and after all, how do we know ourselves? We've never seen it, we use logic. But this makes any attempt to shut the door a battle, unless I sneak over there without him seeing.