Skip to main content

Rhythms

When I was in college or grad school, I actively rejected repeating myself.  When the cashier at the coffee shop knew my order, I got something different.  I sat at different places in the library, moved to different study locations, had different things for lunch, walked different ways home.

As I got older, though, time seemed to start moving faster.  When the kids came along, they really needed things to be the same every day or their lives would be uncomfortable (for them and for me!).  And we moved from doing the same things every day (nap schedule, dinner schedule, bed schedule) to the same things every week (piano, soccer, orchestra) and now the same things every year (Apple Festival, Christmas trip, sign up for spring soccer, plan school for next year).  And the years keep flying by.

Part of me worries that the reason things are speeding up is that I am doing everything the same so that one week is a repeat of the previous week.  On the other hand, I think that I really do not have time or energy in my life to keep making all these decisions every single day.  If it worked once, try again, and maybe tweak it so that it's better.  Also, if there is a pattern and everyone knows it, then we all help carry the burden together and it's not just my responsibility to get necessary things done.  The necessary things don't change, why should our routine?

Maybe the reason I didn't want to do things the same in grad school was that I didn't want to spend any time anticipating what came next when I could just enjoy the moment.  But that's something I can work on even if all the weeks/months/years have the same rhythm.

Now it's Thursday, so I'd better do the laundry.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My hero, Helen Parr

Otherwise known as Elastigirl , a.k.a Mrs. Incredible. She is a stay at home mom ( SAHM ), she clearly feels that what she is doing is important and is willing to give up a lot to do it (remember her comment in the intro: "I'm at the top of my game! Leave saving the world to the guys? I don't think so.") But she is finding fulfillment in leading her family from day to day, in doing a hard job well. She also knows that she is very talented, and that knowledge helps her see beyond the repetitive drudgery of staying home. My favorite scene is from the deleted introduction, where she talks with a "career woman" who is of the opinion that staying home is fine for people who can't do anything else. She responds that taking care of her kid is at least as hard as saving the world, and is valuable contribution to society. The point for me is that someone has to do the job that I'm doing, and it's not something that you could pay someone to do. I see...

Things that are true

"Axial tilt is the reason for the season." (Picture a globe with the northern hemisphere tilted away from the sun...) I believe this is meant to be an anti-theist slogan, although I would point out that I believe there is a reason for the axial tilt. This is a runner up to my favorite true science picture, the "Gravity Forecast." I linked to this when I was a graduate student, but the site is long since down. Picture a weather forecast graphic, but instead of clouds and temperatures, the 5-day forecast predicts 9.8 m/s^2 down. Even the idea still makes me laugh, perhaps I will reproduce it someday. Luke cut his 4th tooth today (Finally!). So far they haven't caused us too much trouble. We'll see what happens when he gets his canines.

Why the world is frustrating

It is very frustrating to be 2. Michael and I have been teaching Luke about closing doors and turning off lights---both good habits. He really enjoys opening the refrigerator door. He knows how to turn out the light. But when I try to get him to shut the refrigerator door, he screams, "Turn out the light!" He keeps getting in the way of the door so that he can push the little button. As far as I know, he's trying to turn off the light before we shut the door, and the fact that it keeps coming back on when we move him out of the way so we can shut the door drives him crazy. He doesn't believe us that the light goes out when the door is shut, and after all, how do we know ourselves? We've never seen it, we use logic. But this makes any attempt to shut the door a battle, unless I sneak over there without him seeing.