Skip to main content

Summer diary week 2

Monday: Haircut, swimming (interrupted by thunder) and taekwondo.  A very boring day =).

Tuesday:  Went to the History museum.  The North Carolina exhibit really is fantastic, the only problem is that we run out of steam after we get to WWI.  Luke had a speech therapy evaluation.  We'll have to find some sort of child care arrangement, I  think.

Wednesday: Didn't get much done in the morning.  Luke had a play date with Colin in the afternoon, so the girls and I went shopping---got a pencil holder and a paper holder for Ella's newly cleaned off desk.  Amanda went to her first dance lesson, which she enjoyed.   I do see why we haven't done this before, though, the logistics are annoying.  There was one woman at the studio with 4 (maybe 5?) kids, and they were all at the studio for 3 hours for various lessons.  I'm not sure how we'll work things out as the kids get older, I'm worried that the number of activities will balloon...

Thursday: Swimming in the morning.  It was the perfect day for swimming: 75 degrees and cloudy.  I could have actually stayed longer, for once!  Then we went shopping and to get the timing belt changed in the afternoon.  Arranging transportation turned out to be more difficult than just leaving the car there, so we planned on waiting at the dealership.  They have a nice set-up with a separate waiting area for kids, popcorn, a TV, and so on.  But due to the fact that I had made the appointment for the regular service instead of the timing belt change, we ended up with a loaner car (a sedan) for the evening.  It's fun to be in a shorter car, but I really like the van.

Friday: Had a play date with some friends at the park.  The weather was marvelous---under 80, sunny, no humidity... just about perfect in every way.  We picked up the van, went to the library (Luke feels quite free to approach librarians and ask about picture books, even when I'm helping Ella or Amanda in the juvenile section), and went to the bread store.  We had a great chicken and dumplings from the crock pot (I decided it would be safe, if we all come down with food poisoning you'll know why =) but the girls didn't like the dumplings and Luke refused to even lick it.  Sigh.  I really need the weekend.  Next week, they have camp!   yea!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My hero, Helen Parr

Otherwise known as Elastigirl , a.k.a Mrs. Incredible. She is a stay at home mom ( SAHM ), she clearly feels that what she is doing is important and is willing to give up a lot to do it (remember her comment in the intro: "I'm at the top of my game! Leave saving the world to the guys? I don't think so.") But she is finding fulfillment in leading her family from day to day, in doing a hard job well. She also knows that she is very talented, and that knowledge helps her see beyond the repetitive drudgery of staying home. My favorite scene is from the deleted introduction, where she talks with a "career woman" who is of the opinion that staying home is fine for people who can't do anything else. She responds that taking care of her kid is at least as hard as saving the world, and is valuable contribution to society. The point for me is that someone has to do the job that I'm doing, and it's not something that you could pay someone to do. I see...

Things that are true

"Axial tilt is the reason for the season." (Picture a globe with the northern hemisphere tilted away from the sun...) I believe this is meant to be an anti-theist slogan, although I would point out that I believe there is a reason for the axial tilt. This is a runner up to my favorite true science picture, the "Gravity Forecast." I linked to this when I was a graduate student, but the site is long since down. Picture a weather forecast graphic, but instead of clouds and temperatures, the 5-day forecast predicts 9.8 m/s^2 down. Even the idea still makes me laugh, perhaps I will reproduce it someday. Luke cut his 4th tooth today (Finally!). So far they haven't caused us too much trouble. We'll see what happens when he gets his canines.

Why the world is frustrating

It is very frustrating to be 2. Michael and I have been teaching Luke about closing doors and turning off lights---both good habits. He really enjoys opening the refrigerator door. He knows how to turn out the light. But when I try to get him to shut the refrigerator door, he screams, "Turn out the light!" He keeps getting in the way of the door so that he can push the little button. As far as I know, he's trying to turn off the light before we shut the door, and the fact that it keeps coming back on when we move him out of the way so we can shut the door drives him crazy. He doesn't believe us that the light goes out when the door is shut, and after all, how do we know ourselves? We've never seen it, we use logic. But this makes any attempt to shut the door a battle, unless I sneak over there without him seeing.