Skip to main content

Summer diary week 1

Mon: went to lunch with Grandpa and Daddy, went to Carrboro to pick up a picture I had framed, ate Locopops.  Went to rehearsal for recital and then Taekwondo.

Tues: Dropped Grandpa off at the airport.  Built lots of things out of kapla blocks.  Relaxed until the recital---we had to eat dinner really early in order to get there on time.  All the kids did great at the recital.  Luke was very funny with his seriousness (playing Takka Takka) and then bowing 4 or 5 times when he was finished.  We went out for gelato afterwards, it was great!

Wed: Actually did some "school" (writing, math, reading).  Ella and Amanda finished listening to Chomp.  Went to Ella's friend's house to drop her off, went to Monkey Joe's to meet with friends from the homeschool co-op, then back to Ella's friend's house to pick up Ella.  Went to taekwondo.

Thurs: We did our morning routine, including exercise (yay!), except somehow Amanda didn't eat breakfast.  Went swimming, but just for an hour since we don't have rash guards yet.  We got lots of things a Target, went to the dentist, and came home to make sno cones.

Fri: We went to Bond park to meet a friend of Ella's for a picnic.  Luke loved seeing the catfish that one girl caught.  Ella got to catch a few frogs and make a daisy chain.  We went to the library in the afternoon---later than I meant because I took a nap.  Very nice.  We blew up the floats, and Ella made snow cones for the youngsters.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My hero, Helen Parr

Otherwise known as Elastigirl , a.k.a Mrs. Incredible. She is a stay at home mom ( SAHM ), she clearly feels that what she is doing is important and is willing to give up a lot to do it (remember her comment in the intro: "I'm at the top of my game! Leave saving the world to the guys? I don't think so.") But she is finding fulfillment in leading her family from day to day, in doing a hard job well. She also knows that she is very talented, and that knowledge helps her see beyond the repetitive drudgery of staying home. My favorite scene is from the deleted introduction, where she talks with a "career woman" who is of the opinion that staying home is fine for people who can't do anything else. She responds that taking care of her kid is at least as hard as saving the world, and is valuable contribution to society. The point for me is that someone has to do the job that I'm doing, and it's not something that you could pay someone to do. I see...

Things that are true

"Axial tilt is the reason for the season." (Picture a globe with the northern hemisphere tilted away from the sun...) I believe this is meant to be an anti-theist slogan, although I would point out that I believe there is a reason for the axial tilt. This is a runner up to my favorite true science picture, the "Gravity Forecast." I linked to this when I was a graduate student, but the site is long since down. Picture a weather forecast graphic, but instead of clouds and temperatures, the 5-day forecast predicts 9.8 m/s^2 down. Even the idea still makes me laugh, perhaps I will reproduce it someday. Luke cut his 4th tooth today (Finally!). So far they haven't caused us too much trouble. We'll see what happens when he gets his canines.

Why the world is frustrating

It is very frustrating to be 2. Michael and I have been teaching Luke about closing doors and turning off lights---both good habits. He really enjoys opening the refrigerator door. He knows how to turn out the light. But when I try to get him to shut the refrigerator door, he screams, "Turn out the light!" He keeps getting in the way of the door so that he can push the little button. As far as I know, he's trying to turn off the light before we shut the door, and the fact that it keeps coming back on when we move him out of the way so we can shut the door drives him crazy. He doesn't believe us that the light goes out when the door is shut, and after all, how do we know ourselves? We've never seen it, we use logic. But this makes any attempt to shut the door a battle, unless I sneak over there without him seeing.