Skip to main content

New, fun blogs

I just wanted to recommend a few new blogs. I'm trying to make them non-political, but some politics seems to be slipping in.

http://freerangekids.wordpress.com/ by Lenore Skenazy. She manages to separate sensible precautions from overboard hyper-parenting, and she's really funny at the same time. Also check out the essays she's published. My favorite is the one about skills Sarah Palin could have learned in the PTA.

Cake Wrecks This blog has made me laugh so much I've had to sit down. It's about professional cakes that go terribly wrong. My favorites are the cakes that put the instructions for the decorations on the cake.

Sand in the Gears by Tony Woodlief. He is a conservative, but his viewpoint is not the typical one---he often points out follies of knee-jerk (emphasis on the jerk) conservatism. He is also raising 4 boys, and his post about going out to eat with them could have been copied almost verbatim from our conversations.

Finally, one I just found yesterday, netflix origami. A great way to recycle all those flaps from your netflix envelopes.

Comments

Lenise said…
I love, love, love Tony's blog. It's impossible not to respect the man (and his wife!), after having lost their daughter, but maintaining their faith and plunging into parenthood again. Nobody can tear me up like Tony. What a writer! What a guy!
mathmom said…
I found his blog from yours, I think, although I had been reading his articles in World for a while.

And I got a hat tip on your blog! I suppose I should have referenced you when I listed Tony's blog... This is a bit confusing...

Popular posts from this blog

My hero, Helen Parr

Otherwise known as Elastigirl , a.k.a Mrs. Incredible. She is a stay at home mom ( SAHM ), she clearly feels that what she is doing is important and is willing to give up a lot to do it (remember her comment in the intro: "I'm at the top of my game! Leave saving the world to the guys? I don't think so.") But she is finding fulfillment in leading her family from day to day, in doing a hard job well. She also knows that she is very talented, and that knowledge helps her see beyond the repetitive drudgery of staying home. My favorite scene is from the deleted introduction, where she talks with a "career woman" who is of the opinion that staying home is fine for people who can't do anything else. She responds that taking care of her kid is at least as hard as saving the world, and is valuable contribution to society. The point for me is that someone has to do the job that I'm doing, and it's not something that you could pay someone to do. I see...

Things that are true

"Axial tilt is the reason for the season." (Picture a globe with the northern hemisphere tilted away from the sun...) I believe this is meant to be an anti-theist slogan, although I would point out that I believe there is a reason for the axial tilt. This is a runner up to my favorite true science picture, the "Gravity Forecast." I linked to this when I was a graduate student, but the site is long since down. Picture a weather forecast graphic, but instead of clouds and temperatures, the 5-day forecast predicts 9.8 m/s^2 down. Even the idea still makes me laugh, perhaps I will reproduce it someday. Luke cut his 4th tooth today (Finally!). So far they haven't caused us too much trouble. We'll see what happens when he gets his canines.

Why the world is frustrating

It is very frustrating to be 2. Michael and I have been teaching Luke about closing doors and turning off lights---both good habits. He really enjoys opening the refrigerator door. He knows how to turn out the light. But when I try to get him to shut the refrigerator door, he screams, "Turn out the light!" He keeps getting in the way of the door so that he can push the little button. As far as I know, he's trying to turn off the light before we shut the door, and the fact that it keeps coming back on when we move him out of the way so we can shut the door drives him crazy. He doesn't believe us that the light goes out when the door is shut, and after all, how do we know ourselves? We've never seen it, we use logic. But this makes any attempt to shut the door a battle, unless I sneak over there without him seeing.