Skip to main content

Gardening with children

One more post, since it is more interesting than folding clothes or cleaning the kitchen...

We got pansies, as I mentioned earlier, and we decided to try to get them in the ground before they perished. Because of a misunderstanding about the size of the flowers, instead of 36 pansies, we actually got 54, a few more than I wanted to plant (I am just glad we didn't end up with 72, which was possible).

We went out to the triangle with our shovels and the flowers and started to dig holes. One of the shovels is lost in our car somewhere, so I actually ended up digging most of the holes with my hands. Fortunately, I was just digging in dirt placed over the lawn, so it wasn't too hard to dig.

Eleanor picked a pansy, named it, planted it, then picked another one to be the child of the one she planted first. Amanda dug huge swaths out of the mulch, putting the mulch and dirt on our lawn. She planted two pansies. Luke, contrary to expectations, did not want to help me dig holes. He really wanted to take pansies out of their containers. This turned out to be difficult, and he ended up ripping the top 1/3 of the roots out while leaving most in the container. Then I tried to get him to put the flowers in holes I had dug. He put the first few in, but then he started running away from me while holding the poor flower and laughing. He also liked to walk among the pansies I had already planted, stepping on a few. Somehow Hopper the stuffed frog made it out there, and Luke really wanted to plant him, too.

I managed to get all but 12 in the ground. Then we had to water them. Eleanor couldn't find our watering can, but she thought it would be a good idea to take one of our big round tupperwares and shake the water out while standing near the pansies. Only a few got nearly drowned, the rest didn't really get watered. We got out the hose with the watering attachment, and everyone took turns watering. Eleanor didn't like walking in the mulch with no shoes, so she went inside to find shoes. She found a flip flop and a rollerskate. I made her take them off to water... We all ended up slightly wet, with the exception of Luke (thank goodness!).

I think the saying goes, "That which does not kill you makes you stronger." If so, our pansies should be really strong this year. Either that or dead.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My hero, Helen Parr

Otherwise known as Elastigirl , a.k.a Mrs. Incredible. She is a stay at home mom ( SAHM ), she clearly feels that what she is doing is important and is willing to give up a lot to do it (remember her comment in the intro: "I'm at the top of my game! Leave saving the world to the guys? I don't think so.") But she is finding fulfillment in leading her family from day to day, in doing a hard job well. She also knows that she is very talented, and that knowledge helps her see beyond the repetitive drudgery of staying home. My favorite scene is from the deleted introduction, where she talks with a "career woman" who is of the opinion that staying home is fine for people who can't do anything else. She responds that taking care of her kid is at least as hard as saving the world, and is valuable contribution to society. The point for me is that someone has to do the job that I'm doing, and it's not something that you could pay someone to do. I see...

Things that are true

"Axial tilt is the reason for the season." (Picture a globe with the northern hemisphere tilted away from the sun...) I believe this is meant to be an anti-theist slogan, although I would point out that I believe there is a reason for the axial tilt. This is a runner up to my favorite true science picture, the "Gravity Forecast." I linked to this when I was a graduate student, but the site is long since down. Picture a weather forecast graphic, but instead of clouds and temperatures, the 5-day forecast predicts 9.8 m/s^2 down. Even the idea still makes me laugh, perhaps I will reproduce it someday. Luke cut his 4th tooth today (Finally!). So far they haven't caused us too much trouble. We'll see what happens when he gets his canines.

Why the world is frustrating

It is very frustrating to be 2. Michael and I have been teaching Luke about closing doors and turning off lights---both good habits. He really enjoys opening the refrigerator door. He knows how to turn out the light. But when I try to get him to shut the refrigerator door, he screams, "Turn out the light!" He keeps getting in the way of the door so that he can push the little button. As far as I know, he's trying to turn off the light before we shut the door, and the fact that it keeps coming back on when we move him out of the way so we can shut the door drives him crazy. He doesn't believe us that the light goes out when the door is shut, and after all, how do we know ourselves? We've never seen it, we use logic. But this makes any attempt to shut the door a battle, unless I sneak over there without him seeing.