Skip to main content

The coffee paradox

The coffee paradox states that you are too sleepy to make your coffee until after you have had your coffee. We made coffee with a french press for a long time, but it took time and energy and intelligence, all of which are lacking before you drink your first cup of coffee.

We thought we had solved the problem with a Capresso, a nice coffee machine which has a burr grinder and a basket that swings over to the water side after the beans are ground, keeping the steam from getting into the beans. It makes quite good coffee. Unfortunately, if you forget to set it up properly you end up with a pot of hot water in the morning. And if you aren't awake in the morning, you pour the pot of hot water back into the coffee maker, which melts the coffee maker.

Which is what I did this morning. Hopefully Michael can fix it (his practice repairing waffle makers and clock radios should come in handy). If he can't fix it, maybe he can help Luke take it apart.

This isn't the only machine that is failing this morning: the heater for the fish tank won't turn off and is trying to boil the fish. The water in the tank was up to 89 degrees this morning. Fortunately these fish are the hardiest I have ever had (survival of the fittest, right?). But we're going to have to figure something out soon.

Comments

Anonymous said…
I've reset the fishtank heater at least once by turning it all the way to low and back, but it sounds like the solution to that problem is to (gasp) buy a new fishtank heater.

The solution to the coffee machine problem is two-fold: 1) repair is $65 flat fee including shipping both ways, could be worse 2) wake up 10 minutes earlier and enjoy delicious press-pot coffee for a few weeks.

Popular posts from this blog

My hero, Helen Parr

Otherwise known as Elastigirl , a.k.a Mrs. Incredible. She is a stay at home mom ( SAHM ), she clearly feels that what she is doing is important and is willing to give up a lot to do it (remember her comment in the intro: "I'm at the top of my game! Leave saving the world to the guys? I don't think so.") But she is finding fulfillment in leading her family from day to day, in doing a hard job well. She also knows that she is very talented, and that knowledge helps her see beyond the repetitive drudgery of staying home. My favorite scene is from the deleted introduction, where she talks with a "career woman" who is of the opinion that staying home is fine for people who can't do anything else. She responds that taking care of her kid is at least as hard as saving the world, and is valuable contribution to society. The point for me is that someone has to do the job that I'm doing, and it's not something that you could pay someone to do. I see...

Things that are true

"Axial tilt is the reason for the season." (Picture a globe with the northern hemisphere tilted away from the sun...) I believe this is meant to be an anti-theist slogan, although I would point out that I believe there is a reason for the axial tilt. This is a runner up to my favorite true science picture, the "Gravity Forecast." I linked to this when I was a graduate student, but the site is long since down. Picture a weather forecast graphic, but instead of clouds and temperatures, the 5-day forecast predicts 9.8 m/s^2 down. Even the idea still makes me laugh, perhaps I will reproduce it someday. Luke cut his 4th tooth today (Finally!). So far they haven't caused us too much trouble. We'll see what happens when he gets his canines.

Why the world is frustrating

It is very frustrating to be 2. Michael and I have been teaching Luke about closing doors and turning off lights---both good habits. He really enjoys opening the refrigerator door. He knows how to turn out the light. But when I try to get him to shut the refrigerator door, he screams, "Turn out the light!" He keeps getting in the way of the door so that he can push the little button. As far as I know, he's trying to turn off the light before we shut the door, and the fact that it keeps coming back on when we move him out of the way so we can shut the door drives him crazy. He doesn't believe us that the light goes out when the door is shut, and after all, how do we know ourselves? We've never seen it, we use logic. But this makes any attempt to shut the door a battle, unless I sneak over there without him seeing.