Skip to main content

Olympics

We (along with most of America, I think) have been enjoying watching the Olympics. I heard a report yesterday on All Things Considered about kids are staying up later to watch the games. Eleanor has been staying up a little bit later, but since school started for her last week, we mostly get her to bed on time.

Eleanor's favorite part was the torch lighting ceremony. We have mythtv (a bit like tivo, but open source) so that every time I suggest watching olympics, she asks to watch the torch lighting ceremony. She refuses absolutely to watch women's gymnastics---a sharp contrast to 4 years ago when she loved watching "the girls doing gymnastics".

Eleanor and Amanda both enjoyed watching rhythmic gymnastics. One of the "apparatuses' is a jump-rope type thing, and Amanda was leaping and dancing all around the room. My favorite was the ribbon---I think I will get the girls some ribbon.

My favorite sport was synchronized diving. I had no idea that this was a sport. In fact, my favorite team was the Germans, who would twist away from each other as they dived---I thought this was very pretty, but the judges thought not. I also enjoyed the canoes, another sport I hadn't thought about. Unfortunately, we didn't seem to record any whitewater canoeing or kayaking.

Which brings me to my favorite part about this olympics: the myth tv box. We set it to record all the olympics on nbc, and we watch just the parts we're interested in (no beach volleyball or basketball, for example) and skip all the commercials. I can't imagine watching all this in real time, especially with the commercials. That said, I do like the commercial for GE wind power ad: at an ancient Greek olympics (although there are plenty of women watching...) the discus throw gets blown off course and knocks down what I assume is the Parthenon. The expression on the discus thrower's face is so expressive.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My hero, Helen Parr

Otherwise known as Elastigirl , a.k.a Mrs. Incredible. She is a stay at home mom ( SAHM ), she clearly feels that what she is doing is important and is willing to give up a lot to do it (remember her comment in the intro: "I'm at the top of my game! Leave saving the world to the guys? I don't think so.") But she is finding fulfillment in leading her family from day to day, in doing a hard job well. She also knows that she is very talented, and that knowledge helps her see beyond the repetitive drudgery of staying home. My favorite scene is from the deleted introduction, where she talks with a "career woman" who is of the opinion that staying home is fine for people who can't do anything else. She responds that taking care of her kid is at least as hard as saving the world, and is valuable contribution to society. The point for me is that someone has to do the job that I'm doing, and it's not something that you could pay someone to do. I see...

Things that are true

"Axial tilt is the reason for the season." (Picture a globe with the northern hemisphere tilted away from the sun...) I believe this is meant to be an anti-theist slogan, although I would point out that I believe there is a reason for the axial tilt. This is a runner up to my favorite true science picture, the "Gravity Forecast." I linked to this when I was a graduate student, but the site is long since down. Picture a weather forecast graphic, but instead of clouds and temperatures, the 5-day forecast predicts 9.8 m/s^2 down. Even the idea still makes me laugh, perhaps I will reproduce it someday. Luke cut his 4th tooth today (Finally!). So far they haven't caused us too much trouble. We'll see what happens when he gets his canines.

Why the world is frustrating

It is very frustrating to be 2. Michael and I have been teaching Luke about closing doors and turning off lights---both good habits. He really enjoys opening the refrigerator door. He knows how to turn out the light. But when I try to get him to shut the refrigerator door, he screams, "Turn out the light!" He keeps getting in the way of the door so that he can push the little button. As far as I know, he's trying to turn off the light before we shut the door, and the fact that it keeps coming back on when we move him out of the way so we can shut the door drives him crazy. He doesn't believe us that the light goes out when the door is shut, and after all, how do we know ourselves? We've never seen it, we use logic. But this makes any attempt to shut the door a battle, unless I sneak over there without him seeing.