Skip to main content

The Spirited Child

Lately I have been trying to read "Raising Your Spirited Child" by Mary Sheedy Kurcinka. It has been helpful, mostly in reassuring me that 1) Eleanor is more spirited than most, and 2) she's within the bounds of normal. Ever since she was a baby she has been demanding, energetic, intense, and so on. I remember that my brother and sister-in-law would come over to walk her around the house from 10 tomidnight for her first 8 weeks. She started climbing things before she could walk.

So far I've read the descriptions of the temprament traits that determine spiritedness---intensity, persistence, sensitivity, perceptiveness, adaptability, regularity, energy, first reaction, and disposition. Eleanor is higly intense, sensitive, perceptive, energy and irregular. She's just average in persistence, adaptability, first reaction and serious disposition. So when I send her up to get dressed in the morning and she ends up looking out the window for 10 minutes instead, that because she's very "perceptive". The fact that she won't eat anything I make for her (unless it has cheese in it) reflects her "sensitivity" to smells and tastes. This is useful, but I really can't wait to see how I actually make her get dressed and eat breakfast before she needs to go to school...

It does make me feel better to know that some of the reasons I find my husband attractive are precisely these temprament traits that are so very annoying in a 5 year old. His parents seem to have survived the adventure of raising him, which also gives me hope. Luke is clearly headed towards being a "spirited child" (he should be crawling within a few weeks...) but I had been congratulating myself on the fact that Amanda was clearly more laid back. Then I realized that although Amanda is less constantly in motion than Eleanor, she has quite a few of the spirited temprament traits... I think I'm in for an interesting time.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My hero, Helen Parr

Otherwise known as Elastigirl , a.k.a Mrs. Incredible. She is a stay at home mom ( SAHM ), she clearly feels that what she is doing is important and is willing to give up a lot to do it (remember her comment in the intro: "I'm at the top of my game! Leave saving the world to the guys? I don't think so.") But she is finding fulfillment in leading her family from day to day, in doing a hard job well. She also knows that she is very talented, and that knowledge helps her see beyond the repetitive drudgery of staying home. My favorite scene is from the deleted introduction, where she talks with a "career woman" who is of the opinion that staying home is fine for people who can't do anything else. She responds that taking care of her kid is at least as hard as saving the world, and is valuable contribution to society. The point for me is that someone has to do the job that I'm doing, and it's not something that you could pay someone to do. I see...

Things that are true

"Axial tilt is the reason for the season." (Picture a globe with the northern hemisphere tilted away from the sun...) I believe this is meant to be an anti-theist slogan, although I would point out that I believe there is a reason for the axial tilt. This is a runner up to my favorite true science picture, the "Gravity Forecast." I linked to this when I was a graduate student, but the site is long since down. Picture a weather forecast graphic, but instead of clouds and temperatures, the 5-day forecast predicts 9.8 m/s^2 down. Even the idea still makes me laugh, perhaps I will reproduce it someday. Luke cut his 4th tooth today (Finally!). So far they haven't caused us too much trouble. We'll see what happens when he gets his canines.

Why the world is frustrating

It is very frustrating to be 2. Michael and I have been teaching Luke about closing doors and turning off lights---both good habits. He really enjoys opening the refrigerator door. He knows how to turn out the light. But when I try to get him to shut the refrigerator door, he screams, "Turn out the light!" He keeps getting in the way of the door so that he can push the little button. As far as I know, he's trying to turn off the light before we shut the door, and the fact that it keeps coming back on when we move him out of the way so we can shut the door drives him crazy. He doesn't believe us that the light goes out when the door is shut, and after all, how do we know ourselves? We've never seen it, we use logic. But this makes any attempt to shut the door a battle, unless I sneak over there without him seeing.