Skip to main content

Harry who?

I bought the 7th Harry Potter novel a few days ago. To tell the truth, I can't even tell you what its name is, except that I knew I wanted to read it before it came out in paperback and there is no way I'm going to check it out from the library this century.

Those of you who know that I read fast might ask if I like the ending. Yes, I do, although I haven't read the middle yet. It seems a bit scandalous, but almost the first thing I did was turn to the ending and see if it ended satisfactoraly. Before you judge me too harshly, keep in mind that I have 3 children, two of whom don't nap and the one who does nap has this tendency to stay up at least an hour in the middle of the night. This means that my reading time is limited to 10 minute spurts during the day between fights, and after they are asleep (when I usually clean the kitchen) and even when I am reading, I have such a small tired attention span that I can barely keep track of anything. This is a big book, and before I invest a large amount of my free time and energy, I want to make sure I will get a good return.

(Also, I didn't re-read the first 6 books before picking this one up, and I found myself reading the first chapter several times, trying to figure out who the minor characters are and if I've met them before. I think all long books should come with a web interface, so that you can mouse over the character names and get a brief description of who they are, and click on them and get a list of all their previous appearances in the book---perhaps that is another post.)

I'm still not sure that I'll keep reading tonight, there are so many other things to do:
  • watch Battlestar Galactica or Star Trek Voyager
  • read the Baroque Cycle (Neal Stephenson---now that's a series worth diving into)
  • embroider
  • clean the kitchen, living room, breakfast area, ad nauseum...
Clearly I am not as into this as many other people are, even as much as I was a few years ago. The book is not going away, and I might be better able to appreciate it in a few weeks when school starts. Until then, I'll read a few words when I can.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My hero, Helen Parr

Otherwise known as Elastigirl , a.k.a Mrs. Incredible. She is a stay at home mom ( SAHM ), she clearly feels that what she is doing is important and is willing to give up a lot to do it (remember her comment in the intro: "I'm at the top of my game! Leave saving the world to the guys? I don't think so.") But she is finding fulfillment in leading her family from day to day, in doing a hard job well. She also knows that she is very talented, and that knowledge helps her see beyond the repetitive drudgery of staying home. My favorite scene is from the deleted introduction, where she talks with a "career woman" who is of the opinion that staying home is fine for people who can't do anything else. She responds that taking care of her kid is at least as hard as saving the world, and is valuable contribution to society. The point for me is that someone has to do the job that I'm doing, and it's not something that you could pay someone to do. I see...

Things that are true

"Axial tilt is the reason for the season." (Picture a globe with the northern hemisphere tilted away from the sun...) I believe this is meant to be an anti-theist slogan, although I would point out that I believe there is a reason for the axial tilt. This is a runner up to my favorite true science picture, the "Gravity Forecast." I linked to this when I was a graduate student, but the site is long since down. Picture a weather forecast graphic, but instead of clouds and temperatures, the 5-day forecast predicts 9.8 m/s^2 down. Even the idea still makes me laugh, perhaps I will reproduce it someday. Luke cut his 4th tooth today (Finally!). So far they haven't caused us too much trouble. We'll see what happens when he gets his canines.

Why the world is frustrating

It is very frustrating to be 2. Michael and I have been teaching Luke about closing doors and turning off lights---both good habits. He really enjoys opening the refrigerator door. He knows how to turn out the light. But when I try to get him to shut the refrigerator door, he screams, "Turn out the light!" He keeps getting in the way of the door so that he can push the little button. As far as I know, he's trying to turn off the light before we shut the door, and the fact that it keeps coming back on when we move him out of the way so we can shut the door drives him crazy. He doesn't believe us that the light goes out when the door is shut, and after all, how do we know ourselves? We've never seen it, we use logic. But this makes any attempt to shut the door a battle, unless I sneak over there without him seeing.