Skip to main content

Child labor

One of the parts of our summer plan is that each child does 30-40 minutes worth of a chore every day.  When you have 12+ hours of freedom every day, spending less than an hour on a task is not too daunting.  Also, I'm required to work with them so they see me doing work too and it's less lonely.

The great thing is all the tasks that get done.  With 3 people working, Luke's room got cleaned pretty quickly.  We sorted through the old toys and found some for a (theoretical) garage sale. We moved a lot of mulch. Luke invented a long stick to help him dust the baseboards and behind the couches (dusting is much more fun when you are inventing too!).  I'm a bit worried actually that we will run out of things to do...  I'm sure I can ask friends and relatives for ideas.

One of my favorite "chores" was the trash bag I asked Amanda to make for the car.  She used a gallon ziploc for the liner, and strong magnet for the strap so that we can take it out and put it back in.  We also are using grocery bags so that we can just take them out and throw them away when we are done.  Right now we are hanging it near the passenger side of the front seat, but it could also be hung off the back of one of the front seats. And (best of all) it gets the job done.

She's taking orders =).  Just let me know.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My hero, Helen Parr

Otherwise known as Elastigirl , a.k.a Mrs. Incredible. She is a stay at home mom ( SAHM ), she clearly feels that what she is doing is important and is willing to give up a lot to do it (remember her comment in the intro: "I'm at the top of my game! Leave saving the world to the guys? I don't think so.") But she is finding fulfillment in leading her family from day to day, in doing a hard job well. She also knows that she is very talented, and that knowledge helps her see beyond the repetitive drudgery of staying home. My favorite scene is from the deleted introduction, where she talks with a "career woman" who is of the opinion that staying home is fine for people who can't do anything else. She responds that taking care of her kid is at least as hard as saving the world, and is valuable contribution to society. The point for me is that someone has to do the job that I'm doing, and it's not something that you could pay someone to do. I see...

Things that are true

"Axial tilt is the reason for the season." (Picture a globe with the northern hemisphere tilted away from the sun...) I believe this is meant to be an anti-theist slogan, although I would point out that I believe there is a reason for the axial tilt. This is a runner up to my favorite true science picture, the "Gravity Forecast." I linked to this when I was a graduate student, but the site is long since down. Picture a weather forecast graphic, but instead of clouds and temperatures, the 5-day forecast predicts 9.8 m/s^2 down. Even the idea still makes me laugh, perhaps I will reproduce it someday. Luke cut his 4th tooth today (Finally!). So far they haven't caused us too much trouble. We'll see what happens when he gets his canines.

Why the world is frustrating

It is very frustrating to be 2. Michael and I have been teaching Luke about closing doors and turning off lights---both good habits. He really enjoys opening the refrigerator door. He knows how to turn out the light. But when I try to get him to shut the refrigerator door, he screams, "Turn out the light!" He keeps getting in the way of the door so that he can push the little button. As far as I know, he's trying to turn off the light before we shut the door, and the fact that it keeps coming back on when we move him out of the way so we can shut the door drives him crazy. He doesn't believe us that the light goes out when the door is shut, and after all, how do we know ourselves? We've never seen it, we use logic. But this makes any attempt to shut the door a battle, unless I sneak over there without him seeing.