Skip to main content

Leaving

When I was younger (read: before I had kids) I always thought of leaving as a point in time.  Think of the graph of a line crossing the x-axis at x=2.  When x is less than 2, f(x) is negative.  When x<2 graph="" is="" negative="" the="" when="" x=""> is greater than 2 f(x) is positive, and the graph is only equal to zero at one point, x=2.  Similarly, I thought that leaving was one time, say 12:00.  Earlier than 12, you haven't left, and after 12, you've already left.  

This worked pretty well for many years, but then I had kids and the strategy developed problems.  I learned to try to be early to places (if you're not early, then you're late).  I learned to leave time for traffic depending on the time of day.  But even leaving time to be early and for traffic,  I still ended up being late, even when I left at precisely the time I expected.

Then I realized that the problem was that it took between 5 and 10 minutes to leave, maybe more if I were leaving for the whole day and had a lot to remember.  Even when I was just by myself, sometimes it took 5 minutes to leave (which was one reason I was late a lot before I had kids).  It takes a lot of time to get 3 small people moving and to help them remember the things they need.

So leaving is more like a piece-wise defined function. The time before leaving and the time after leaving are the same, but there is a 10-15 minute stretch while we are in the process of leaving.  It makes me late less often (not never).  It also makes the process of leaving less stressful: if I know it's going to take 10 minutes from the time we start going out the door to the time we are driving away, I can let it take that time and not yell at the kids for being slower than I expect.

Yet another way math helps understand the world.
Original graph, then new graph.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My hero, Helen Parr

Otherwise known as Elastigirl , a.k.a Mrs. Incredible. She is a stay at home mom ( SAHM ), she clearly feels that what she is doing is important and is willing to give up a lot to do it (remember her comment in the intro: "I'm at the top of my game! Leave saving the world to the guys? I don't think so.") But she is finding fulfillment in leading her family from day to day, in doing a hard job well. She also knows that she is very talented, and that knowledge helps her see beyond the repetitive drudgery of staying home. My favorite scene is from the deleted introduction, where she talks with a "career woman" who is of the opinion that staying home is fine for people who can't do anything else. She responds that taking care of her kid is at least as hard as saving the world, and is valuable contribution to society. The point for me is that someone has to do the job that I'm doing, and it's not something that you could pay someone to do. I see...

Things that are true

"Axial tilt is the reason for the season." (Picture a globe with the northern hemisphere tilted away from the sun...) I believe this is meant to be an anti-theist slogan, although I would point out that I believe there is a reason for the axial tilt. This is a runner up to my favorite true science picture, the "Gravity Forecast." I linked to this when I was a graduate student, but the site is long since down. Picture a weather forecast graphic, but instead of clouds and temperatures, the 5-day forecast predicts 9.8 m/s^2 down. Even the idea still makes me laugh, perhaps I will reproduce it someday. Luke cut his 4th tooth today (Finally!). So far they haven't caused us too much trouble. We'll see what happens when he gets his canines.

Why the world is frustrating

It is very frustrating to be 2. Michael and I have been teaching Luke about closing doors and turning off lights---both good habits. He really enjoys opening the refrigerator door. He knows how to turn out the light. But when I try to get him to shut the refrigerator door, he screams, "Turn out the light!" He keeps getting in the way of the door so that he can push the little button. As far as I know, he's trying to turn off the light before we shut the door, and the fact that it keeps coming back on when we move him out of the way so we can shut the door drives him crazy. He doesn't believe us that the light goes out when the door is shut, and after all, how do we know ourselves? We've never seen it, we use logic. But this makes any attempt to shut the door a battle, unless I sneak over there without him seeing.