Skip to main content

Bad idea?

In order to strive to declutter I have been going through boxes in the attic.  One of the boxes I found was my school work from high school.  I think I threw out (or have on floppy disk somewhere) my work from college.  I don't know where my elementary work is, although I'd love to see my story notebook.  But my high school stuff was pretty amusing. 

One of the pieces of writing I found was a description of my room in 10th grade.  I wrote it in the form of a detective report, and the assignment was to do some sort of descriptive writing.  I was handing lots of things over to Eleanor to read, so I gave her this one.

And now I'm not sure it was a good idea.  I was not a neat child.  I have improved, thanks to maturity, guilt, and having 3 small people around who make even bigger messes than I could.  But in high school... Eleanor's response was to tell me, "Now I never have to clean my room again!  You were messier than I am!"

I think my idea was that I could show her that I could identify with her pain when I asked her to clean up, and that she shouldn't be embarrassed by anything in her room that I might see: I was worse.  er impression was that I set the bar lower and she could slide in just above that bar.

The ultimate goal is not to have Eleanor's room perfectly clean, but when she decides to keep it clean (because of roommates, or maturity, or guilt, or trying to impress someone) she has the tools to do it.  In other words, she still needs to clean her room.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My hero, Helen Parr

Otherwise known as Elastigirl , a.k.a Mrs. Incredible. She is a stay at home mom ( SAHM ), she clearly feels that what she is doing is important and is willing to give up a lot to do it (remember her comment in the intro: "I'm at the top of my game! Leave saving the world to the guys? I don't think so.") But she is finding fulfillment in leading her family from day to day, in doing a hard job well. She also knows that she is very talented, and that knowledge helps her see beyond the repetitive drudgery of staying home. My favorite scene is from the deleted introduction, where she talks with a "career woman" who is of the opinion that staying home is fine for people who can't do anything else. She responds that taking care of her kid is at least as hard as saving the world, and is valuable contribution to society. The point for me is that someone has to do the job that I'm doing, and it's not something that you could pay someone to do. I see...

Things that are true

"Axial tilt is the reason for the season." (Picture a globe with the northern hemisphere tilted away from the sun...) I believe this is meant to be an anti-theist slogan, although I would point out that I believe there is a reason for the axial tilt. This is a runner up to my favorite true science picture, the "Gravity Forecast." I linked to this when I was a graduate student, but the site is long since down. Picture a weather forecast graphic, but instead of clouds and temperatures, the 5-day forecast predicts 9.8 m/s^2 down. Even the idea still makes me laugh, perhaps I will reproduce it someday. Luke cut his 4th tooth today (Finally!). So far they haven't caused us too much trouble. We'll see what happens when he gets his canines.

Why the world is frustrating

It is very frustrating to be 2. Michael and I have been teaching Luke about closing doors and turning off lights---both good habits. He really enjoys opening the refrigerator door. He knows how to turn out the light. But when I try to get him to shut the refrigerator door, he screams, "Turn out the light!" He keeps getting in the way of the door so that he can push the little button. As far as I know, he's trying to turn off the light before we shut the door, and the fact that it keeps coming back on when we move him out of the way so we can shut the door drives him crazy. He doesn't believe us that the light goes out when the door is shut, and after all, how do we know ourselves? We've never seen it, we use logic. But this makes any attempt to shut the door a battle, unless I sneak over there without him seeing.