Skip to main content

Simplify your family life using modular arithmetic

For a long time, we had a big problem at dinner every night.  For some reason, none of the kids wanted to sit next to Michael and they all wanted to sit next to me.  Besides the fact that I don't have 3 sides, this made Michael feel unwanted (sniff!).  The problem was, when I chose someone to sit next to Michael the various people involved decided that I wasn't being fair, that I had chosen them last night, or last night but 2, and that Luke always got to sit next to me...  There was no way to decide.

I remembered from kindergarten that the teacher had a list of the students on the wall and would move a marker down to choose a "person of the day."  The kids knew when their turn was coming up by how many names were between themselves and the marker.  I didn't have the energy to make a list or to keep up with moving a marker, but then I realized that the dates of the month will keep up with themselves and I don't have to do anything.

So if the day of the month is evenly divisible by 3, Eleanor gets to be the person of the day.  If there is a remainder of 1, Amanda is, and if there is a remainder of 2, Luke is.  No problem, no arguments, and math is always right.  0mod3 means Ella, 1mod3 means Amanda and 2mod3 means Luke.

You can use modular arithmetic for other things, too.  Who chooses what to watch on TV? the person of the day.  Who has to practice first?  the person of the day.  When there are only two choices (for who went first at violin lessons, for example) we could use even/odd dates---the oldest child is always 0.  We use mod 5 when the whole family is involved in being chosen.

This system does have some problems.  When we have a 31 day month, Amanda is person of the day twice in a row.  But since there are drawbacks as well as benefits to being person of the day, it seems to work out.  Sometimes I am gone---Eleanor complained that I was always gone for her day to sit next to me!  But that works out in the end too, since my absences are truly random.

The best part is that while you can argue with your mother, you cannot argue with mathematics.  And arguments were exactly what I was trying to avoid.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My hero, Helen Parr

Otherwise known as Elastigirl , a.k.a Mrs. Incredible. She is a stay at home mom ( SAHM ), she clearly feels that what she is doing is important and is willing to give up a lot to do it (remember her comment in the intro: "I'm at the top of my game! Leave saving the world to the guys? I don't think so.") But she is finding fulfillment in leading her family from day to day, in doing a hard job well. She also knows that she is very talented, and that knowledge helps her see beyond the repetitive drudgery of staying home. My favorite scene is from the deleted introduction, where she talks with a "career woman" who is of the opinion that staying home is fine for people who can't do anything else. She responds that taking care of her kid is at least as hard as saving the world, and is valuable contribution to society. The point for me is that someone has to do the job that I'm doing, and it's not something that you could pay someone to do. I see...

Things that are true

"Axial tilt is the reason for the season." (Picture a globe with the northern hemisphere tilted away from the sun...) I believe this is meant to be an anti-theist slogan, although I would point out that I believe there is a reason for the axial tilt. This is a runner up to my favorite true science picture, the "Gravity Forecast." I linked to this when I was a graduate student, but the site is long since down. Picture a weather forecast graphic, but instead of clouds and temperatures, the 5-day forecast predicts 9.8 m/s^2 down. Even the idea still makes me laugh, perhaps I will reproduce it someday. Luke cut his 4th tooth today (Finally!). So far they haven't caused us too much trouble. We'll see what happens when he gets his canines.

Why the world is frustrating

It is very frustrating to be 2. Michael and I have been teaching Luke about closing doors and turning off lights---both good habits. He really enjoys opening the refrigerator door. He knows how to turn out the light. But when I try to get him to shut the refrigerator door, he screams, "Turn out the light!" He keeps getting in the way of the door so that he can push the little button. As far as I know, he's trying to turn off the light before we shut the door, and the fact that it keeps coming back on when we move him out of the way so we can shut the door drives him crazy. He doesn't believe us that the light goes out when the door is shut, and after all, how do we know ourselves? We've never seen it, we use logic. But this makes any attempt to shut the door a battle, unless I sneak over there without him seeing.