Skip to main content

Heavy objects

We have a two story entryway and a railing from the 2nd floor which overlooks it.  This is a great temptation for children to drop things over, but we have firm rules about what can be dropped: things which are soft and things which are light.

Yesterday as I was making dinner, Luke started trying dropping things over.  He dropped his bean bag.  He dropped our hula hoop. Then he started looking for bigger things.

He came up to me and showed me the old keyboard we have for playing with.  "No, you may not drop that over the edge."  Then he came and asked if he could drop over my 5 pound dumbbell.  The image of the dumbbell hitting the ground was not pretty, and to Luke's disappointment I said no again.  Then he started to get more desperate. "Can I drop off my woodworking?" he asked.  His preschool had collections of boards, hammers and glue that the kids could make into things and bring home, so woodworking refers to a couple of 2 foot long sections of 2 by 4s with things glued onto them.  When I refused that, he got upset.  "What can I drop over the landing then!!"

I went over the rules with him again, and he got sad.  "But I need something which will make a big BOOM when it lands!"  Fortunately, it was time for dinner.

I do feel good about the fact that he kept asking for permission to drop things over the railing.  Poor Luke never found anything to make a big noise.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My hero, Helen Parr

Otherwise known as Elastigirl , a.k.a Mrs. Incredible. She is a stay at home mom ( SAHM ), she clearly feels that what she is doing is important and is willing to give up a lot to do it (remember her comment in the intro: "I'm at the top of my game! Leave saving the world to the guys? I don't think so.") But she is finding fulfillment in leading her family from day to day, in doing a hard job well. She also knows that she is very talented, and that knowledge helps her see beyond the repetitive drudgery of staying home. My favorite scene is from the deleted introduction, where she talks with a "career woman" who is of the opinion that staying home is fine for people who can't do anything else. She responds that taking care of her kid is at least as hard as saving the world, and is valuable contribution to society. The point for me is that someone has to do the job that I'm doing, and it's not something that you could pay someone to do. I see...

Things that are true

"Axial tilt is the reason for the season." (Picture a globe with the northern hemisphere tilted away from the sun...) I believe this is meant to be an anti-theist slogan, although I would point out that I believe there is a reason for the axial tilt. This is a runner up to my favorite true science picture, the "Gravity Forecast." I linked to this when I was a graduate student, but the site is long since down. Picture a weather forecast graphic, but instead of clouds and temperatures, the 5-day forecast predicts 9.8 m/s^2 down. Even the idea still makes me laugh, perhaps I will reproduce it someday. Luke cut his 4th tooth today (Finally!). So far they haven't caused us too much trouble. We'll see what happens when he gets his canines.

Why the world is frustrating

It is very frustrating to be 2. Michael and I have been teaching Luke about closing doors and turning off lights---both good habits. He really enjoys opening the refrigerator door. He knows how to turn out the light. But when I try to get him to shut the refrigerator door, he screams, "Turn out the light!" He keeps getting in the way of the door so that he can push the little button. As far as I know, he's trying to turn off the light before we shut the door, and the fact that it keeps coming back on when we move him out of the way so we can shut the door drives him crazy. He doesn't believe us that the light goes out when the door is shut, and after all, how do we know ourselves? We've never seen it, we use logic. But this makes any attempt to shut the door a battle, unless I sneak over there without him seeing.