Skip to main content

Glasses

Ella now has glasses. She sees fine out of one eye, but the other eye needs correction. What that means is that often she'll take off her glasses---when she's sweaty, when they're uncomfortable, when they are inconvenient.

Yesterday, as we were packing, I noticed that she didn't have her glasses on. "Could you find them please?" I asked, thinking that this was a reasonable request.

What followed was actually a pretty thorough (and needed) cleaning up of all the toys all through the house. We put away the books, picked up all the craft sticks and tinker toys, cleared all the plastic animals off the window sill, put back most of the National Geographics...

All we got was a cleaner house. Ella cleaned out her suitcase, which she said was not useful because she won't put her glasses just anywhere---she only puts her glasses "on tables, or bookshelves, or desks or windowsills or things like that." We did eventually find the glasses in the crack between two photo albums in the play room.

Dare I say that I'll be happier when she actually needs the glasses? It's pretty sure that she'll get to that point sooner or later... In the meanwhile, I am going to try to get the kids 14 hours of outdoors time per week---that prevents nearsightedness, according to studies.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My hero, Helen Parr

Otherwise known as Elastigirl , a.k.a Mrs. Incredible. She is a stay at home mom ( SAHM ), she clearly feels that what she is doing is important and is willing to give up a lot to do it (remember her comment in the intro: "I'm at the top of my game! Leave saving the world to the guys? I don't think so.") But she is finding fulfillment in leading her family from day to day, in doing a hard job well. She also knows that she is very talented, and that knowledge helps her see beyond the repetitive drudgery of staying home. My favorite scene is from the deleted introduction, where she talks with a "career woman" who is of the opinion that staying home is fine for people who can't do anything else. She responds that taking care of her kid is at least as hard as saving the world, and is valuable contribution to society. The point for me is that someone has to do the job that I'm doing, and it's not something that you could pay someone to do. I see...

Things that are true

"Axial tilt is the reason for the season." (Picture a globe with the northern hemisphere tilted away from the sun...) I believe this is meant to be an anti-theist slogan, although I would point out that I believe there is a reason for the axial tilt. This is a runner up to my favorite true science picture, the "Gravity Forecast." I linked to this when I was a graduate student, but the site is long since down. Picture a weather forecast graphic, but instead of clouds and temperatures, the 5-day forecast predicts 9.8 m/s^2 down. Even the idea still makes me laugh, perhaps I will reproduce it someday. Luke cut his 4th tooth today (Finally!). So far they haven't caused us too much trouble. We'll see what happens when he gets his canines.

Why the world is frustrating

It is very frustrating to be 2. Michael and I have been teaching Luke about closing doors and turning off lights---both good habits. He really enjoys opening the refrigerator door. He knows how to turn out the light. But when I try to get him to shut the refrigerator door, he screams, "Turn out the light!" He keeps getting in the way of the door so that he can push the little button. As far as I know, he's trying to turn off the light before we shut the door, and the fact that it keeps coming back on when we move him out of the way so we can shut the door drives him crazy. He doesn't believe us that the light goes out when the door is shut, and after all, how do we know ourselves? We've never seen it, we use logic. But this makes any attempt to shut the door a battle, unless I sneak over there without him seeing.