Skip to main content

Strep

Our entire family has been feeling off and on sick over the past few weeks. Ella was laid out for 1-2 days, but then seemed to get over it. Unfortunately, after she got over it, Michael was hit over the head for a few days---flat on his back. He finally got over it enough to go get a strep test, it came back positive and we got him some antibiotics.

The Monday after Michael started taking antibiotics, Ella was sick again---a stomach bug, it seemed, but she only seemed to be sick about 1/4 of the time. The rest of the time she was wrestling with her siblings and running through the sprinkler, and so on. Finally at the end of the day, Ella felt sick again and Michael made me promise to take her for a strep test, even though I was sure there was a more benign explanation.

I called and made the appointment, thinking all the time that this was a waste of time and I had other things to do. Ella really seemed to be fine. I had some other questions for the doctor, so I made an appointment for Amanda too for something else. Ella got her throat swabbed---it was positive. Then the Dr. looked in Amanda's ears. "Her ears look fine," she said, "but could we do a culture on her too?" It turns out that in looking at Amanda's ears she had felt her swollen lymph nodes. Another positive.

So should we get Luke swabbed as well? Well, his throat felt fine, so probably not. Then I thought back over the past few days and how tired I had been, how my throat occasionally hurt and the nagging headache I had. I had put it down to taking care of the family for days and days with no backup but maybe... "Should I get tested?" The Dr. allowed as that would be a good idea.

So, after getting out of the pediatrician's office, we headed to the urgent care place down the street. The doc there listened to the story, looked at me, and said, "Well, I could give you a strep test. But it might not come back positive since it looks like it's still early, and I would probably still prescribe antibiotics, given the amount of exposure you've had." So I skipped the swabbing and got the prescription. He also asked when I first started feeling the symptoms. I looked at him blankly--I couldn't remember! I'd been not allowing myself to be sick for so long that one day was the same as the next.

Waiting at Target for your prescription to be filled with 2 sick kids and one not-sick-at-all 4 year old is not very much fun. We made it home with 4 new movies (I couldn't imagine at that point that we'd ever feel better) and chilled out. We're starting to recover, and we all take our antibiotics at the same time. But really, I can't wait for everything to get back to normal.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My hero, Helen Parr

Otherwise known as Elastigirl , a.k.a Mrs. Incredible. She is a stay at home mom ( SAHM ), she clearly feels that what she is doing is important and is willing to give up a lot to do it (remember her comment in the intro: "I'm at the top of my game! Leave saving the world to the guys? I don't think so.") But she is finding fulfillment in leading her family from day to day, in doing a hard job well. She also knows that she is very talented, and that knowledge helps her see beyond the repetitive drudgery of staying home. My favorite scene is from the deleted introduction, where she talks with a "career woman" who is of the opinion that staying home is fine for people who can't do anything else. She responds that taking care of her kid is at least as hard as saving the world, and is valuable contribution to society. The point for me is that someone has to do the job that I'm doing, and it's not something that you could pay someone to do. I see...

Things that are true

"Axial tilt is the reason for the season." (Picture a globe with the northern hemisphere tilted away from the sun...) I believe this is meant to be an anti-theist slogan, although I would point out that I believe there is a reason for the axial tilt. This is a runner up to my favorite true science picture, the "Gravity Forecast." I linked to this when I was a graduate student, but the site is long since down. Picture a weather forecast graphic, but instead of clouds and temperatures, the 5-day forecast predicts 9.8 m/s^2 down. Even the idea still makes me laugh, perhaps I will reproduce it someday. Luke cut his 4th tooth today (Finally!). So far they haven't caused us too much trouble. We'll see what happens when he gets his canines.

Why the world is frustrating

It is very frustrating to be 2. Michael and I have been teaching Luke about closing doors and turning off lights---both good habits. He really enjoys opening the refrigerator door. He knows how to turn out the light. But when I try to get him to shut the refrigerator door, he screams, "Turn out the light!" He keeps getting in the way of the door so that he can push the little button. As far as I know, he's trying to turn off the light before we shut the door, and the fact that it keeps coming back on when we move him out of the way so we can shut the door drives him crazy. He doesn't believe us that the light goes out when the door is shut, and after all, how do we know ourselves? We've never seen it, we use logic. But this makes any attempt to shut the door a battle, unless I sneak over there without him seeing.